Coding Problem

sperl

Hello. I am brand new to web design, and in fact I have been recently thrown into this so I need some help.

I am using Dreamweaver CS3 to maintain our company website. So I will edit the xhtml there and then copy the code into a content management program called Sitellite.

The task I am trying to accomplish is removing a particular button from a page, and when I do the Sitellite program removes the line of code that enables an image rollover function (a photo on the same page changes to a different photo when you roll your mouse over it). I believe that line of code may be Javascript. I'm not sure what that is exactly, but I was told it might be. Who knows.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

adamblan

Javascript is typically used for rollover functions (though sometimes css rollovers are used instead) so without looking at the code I'd guess that it is a js function call.
If the button that you're deleting a is calling the fn, then you'd want to delete the fn as well since it's no longer needed.

sperl

Javascript is typically used for rollover functions (though sometimes css rollovers are used instead) so without looking at the code I'd guess that it is a js function call.
If the button that you're deleting a is calling the fn, then you'd want to delete the fn as well since it's no longer needed.

That sounds logical, but I don' know code well enough to see if it is calling the function. At least it doesn't look that way to me. When I contacted our IT department this is what they said:

"You cannot upload a body tag (this is probably what happened on the other page that was showing code at the top). The body tag is part of the template. Everthing else in this file should upload correctly except that img tags and br tags must end with a /. Sitellite uses xml formatting so any tag that does not have a closing tag must end with a /. For example: <br/> When using the source editing feature you must be sure that the html is correctly formatted.

Please make the changes to the html and try your edit again."

Ok, so I made sure all the closing tags end with a forward slash, but the code does not start or end with a body tag. It starts and ends with div tags. And I still don't have rollover capability.

cmjvulavala

Possibly due to the script that you need to use being called in the <head> section which I presume will also be loading with the template. You would need to see if there is a way to edit the template manually in order to add the code so that you can use the JS functions.

sperl

Thank you for the insight.

Here is the link to the page I am trying to fix:
http://www.climatemaster.com/index/comm_gr_gs_page

The photo of the units has the rollover function, but I am trying to remove the buttons "Engineering Guide" just below it. I don't understand how the buttons are connected to the photo in such a way that it removes the rollover feature when I delete the buttons.

Do you want me to post the code as well?

sperl

I think I found the problem. Any chance you're using a WYSIWYG to edit the site?
Dreamweaver essentially is a WYSIWYG right? I mean, I know you can edit code but it also has that design view as well. Well I'm using Dw to make my edits, and then I paste the code into the source editor of our CMS. It seems that the CMS is sort of WYSIWYG too even though you can edit the source code.

adamblan

Dreamweaver essentially is a WYSIWYG right?

Well, yes and no - While DW can be used to design sites using design mode, what you see usually isn't what you get. The best description I've come across is "janky ass code"...

Get into the code view & delete these objects.

horrorshow75

Well, yes and no - While DW can be used to design sites using design mode, what you see usually isn't what you get. The best description I've come across is "janky ass code"...

Get into the code view & delete these objects.

Am i not seeing something or did you forget part of your post?

sperl

Well, I did delete those lines in the code view already. IMO the code is correct coming out of DW, but I'm thinking maybe it has to be set up a certain way prior to pasting into the CMS?? It's the CMS that changes the code for some reason. In fact the code (before deleting the buttons) exists and functions in the CMS right now, but it drops the rollover fn only when I delete the buttons. Would it make a difference if I deleted the buttons directly from the CMS? Hmm, that's something I haven't tried yet. I'll give that a whirl, but in the meantime if someone could help me solve this riddle I would be so happy and a hero in the office.

Make me a hero!! :p;)

sperl

Well, I did delete those lines in the code view already. IMO the code is correct coming out of DW, but I'm thinking maybe it has to be set up a certain way prior to pasting into the CMS?? It's the CMS that changes the code for some reason. In fact the code (before deleting the buttons) exists and functions in the CMS right now, but it drops the rollover fn only when I delete the buttons. Would it make a difference if I deleted the buttons directly from the CMS? Hmm, that's something I haven't tried yet. I'll give that a whirl, but in the meantime if someone could help me solve this riddle I would be so happy and a hero in the office.

Make me a hero!! :p;)

That doesn't work. Sitellite freaks out and deletes the entire content and then asks me to put content in there. WTH?? :confused: