CMS website design

CotswoldD

HI
Ok will this open a can of worms. What do you think of CMS website design?

I offer this service, i have dreamweaver, go live, flash etc etc but have never learnt how to use them.

So i use Joomla, i can build a 10 page website, with ecommerce, properties, portfolio etc etc in an evening so logs as clients sends text and images LOL.

What are your thoughts?

regards pete:eek:

horrorshow75

Are you asking if it is OK you use a CMS to create a site for a client? Yeah as long as you present it to the client as what it is and not try to pass it off as something you wrote.

CMS's are great. They take a lot of the work out creating a site (not to be confused with a site builder) most are coded using web standards and pretty much all you have to do is rework the look to fit your site.

I think almost anyone (with the exception of super elitist jerks) in the web design world would agree that a CMS is great way to build a site.

LouTheDesigner

I'm very fluent in Flash, Dreamweaver, etc. but I am thinking of converting to CMS's. Is it difficult to learn? What do you charge?

spire-web

Lou, offering a CMS is a great idea. When we started offering them to our clients, they started raving about our services and our business growth accellerated. It also eliminated the annoying phone calls where folks were asking for 2-second changes -- but created more calls for bigger, substantial new developments that we enjoy doing.

My team here in Ohio has built an in-house CMS that -- in my biased opinion -- is more powerful AND easier to learn than open source stuff like Joomla. More importantly, the sites running this CMS do extraordinarily well in search engines. What WordPress does for blogs, we've tried to create in our CMS. The end-user posts a new page, photo album, blog, news item, calendar event, etc and the system automatically creates a permalink, updates the sitemap and pings the big 3 search engines. A video targeted toward end users is here. If you want to talk about pricing, please contact me here.