CMS Help, or another way to manage a website

chipper_001

Please help,

I want to try and get a job in web development, I know xhtml and css and I'm currently building some websites for friends as a portfolio so I have something to show future employers.

My problem is my friends will want to update and manage their website after I've built them and they don't know about web development. My question is would CMS be the way to go and if so can anyone help me on how to customize them and manipulate the code, to create my own design, instead of using their own templates?

I have looked at wordpress, but it doesn't seem just a simple case of entering your code, you need to understand how they work and about php which I know nothing about.

Can anyone tell me how I can create my own design in wordpress, cause at the moment none of my classes or id's are being rendered, or is there another CMS or another way where I have the flexibility and ease to create my own design and my friends can easily manage their website.

Please can someone help me, I would really appreciate it!

Many thanks

jnjc

I started looking at CMS a couple of months ago and Joomla was the one I settled on. For a beginner it's very user friendly and intuitive and once you get more familiar with it , it's pretty easy to modify at an advanced level.

HTH,
JC

4folds

Here's a few suggestions for you... You could try using something like WordPress or Blogger if they want something that's article driven, and then embed it into a website using Feedburner or a Widgetbox. Or, you might try a simplified CMS system like iUpdateIt that doesn't control the whole website, but select sections that you designate. All of the above are either free or really cheap to do.