client wants to update site himself

blazek

I am building a restaurant's website, regentpub.se. The owner would like to be able to update the content of sections such as "Live Bands" and "Menu" himself in the future.

Ideally, he wants to login to a control panel and edit the pages. However, any less elegant solution would probably be fine. I have no idea where to begin.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

StudioMelbourne

Well if the owner can code in html then there is no problem, however if he cant and i think this is the case, then Content Management Systems are the only way to go! Joomla 1.5 being the pick of the bunch.

Furthermore, I checked out your site, how long have you been a web designer? Do not be offended, however it seems as though you are just starting out. Stop what you are currently doing and learn to use Joomla! it will bring you up to speed in the industry incredibly fast!

start at http://www.joomla.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

camilo.nevarez

screw that! tell him you'll charge him per hour to teach him HTML and photoshop so he can do it himself instead of paying! .. i would say no and just charge like 20 bucks an update, how often can he update it?

blazek

Studiomelbourne, can you elaborate on that point? What makes you say I am just starting out?

In any case, thanks for the feedback, but those solutions didn't hit the mark for me. There is no way I would tell a client that he needs to pay me to teach him HTML and any CMS felt too bulky for an 8-page site.

I wound up creating Google documents and embedding them into the site. This way, the client can easily update content from his email account.

edit: Camilo, it is a pub with daily music and sports, so he needs to update constantly.

bluecollar01

CMS is definitely the way to go but I disagree with StudioMelbourne on the choice of CMS but maybe I'm biased. I prefer Expression Engine - the ability to create a CMS for any design just seems more intuitive to me using Expression Engine. Again, that's just an opinion though. I think that since it's backed by a software company the support documents and access to the support forum of people who actually know how to use Expression Engine is a huge advantage. Joomla does have a lot of volunteers that help out but you spend a lot of time digging and sorting thru disinformation to get the answers you need. Again, just my opinion but for commercial sites I would much rather pay the licensing fee and have the support of a company in the event problems arise.

jonweb2009

I agree, clients wanted to update is a real mess. Unless they know HTML and Css.

If not you have to create a custom CMS according to his needs.

Rather you give him a deal, that you will take care of the update for descent price.

If they code, who will see...

If we cook, who will eat

camilo.nevarez

then charge him. tell him how he will eventually need or want something redesigned and it would be chdeaper for him to pay you per update than to CODE an CMS for such a small project

Barber77r

Hi... I'm new to this site... I know the problem with clients wanting to update the site themselves... If I know this upfront, I will use and have used Joomla (I also charge more)... I like your solution - very simple - using google documents...

However, I will not say that Joomla is the best or the easiest - I will say that I've used it and will use it the next time (even for an 8-page website)...

Thanks...
Ron...