Client says "dry"

jannamitchell

While my immediate boss is notorious for his love of "clean and simple" sites, his boss (who is the client) says this new site is too dry. What are some ideas to help give life to this site, yet keep information clear?

I appreciate all input, positive and negative. I am hoping for guidance.

Thank you

Please note, this site is sitting in the folder "new" so you cannot navigate to it through the root. Here is a link:
bigdogenergy.com/new

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I would start by placing the images higher up in the page, I would swap the image and the text box around.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say "dry" so much as "dated", though I do see what they mean. I would start with Ian's suggestion, and maybe change the color scheme in a big way. I think I know what you're after with the brown "harnessing the power of the earth", but that much brown doesn't say "renewable" to me. It just kinda says "dirt". If you were earth movers or excavators, it might work, but not here. Try maybe going from a "clean" angle. Fewer hard lines, or with exception of the dotted line (which I really like, btw) no hard lines at all. Light background with blues and greens. Then, highlight with a tan or brown. Be careful not to go overly green, though, as you'd lose the strength in the name "Big Dog".

JakClark

The site does look very dated. Not sure how you or your client means by 'dry', but it is in need of a face-lift.

The problem is, it looks pre-web 2.0, which in itself is pretty out-dated now too.

d a v e

it has a bit of a 70/80s feel to it ;)

resize your image(s) properly too. get rid of the brown and what some might call kahki (the background colour) go with some silvers and light greys instead

maybe more subtle rounded corners

edit: green = eco; orange= energy. blue = trust

Last edited:

jackrabbithanna

The big dog logo takes a long time to load.

As far as you original question the customer said too "dry":
I agree about the colors...that is the biggest problem....Your non computer savvy customer was probably been reacting to the color scheme....its like a desert.

It might be cool if the primary menu items where flush with the white content region. Then make the menu item tabs by rounding the top corners and having their default color be different from the background. No bottom border for the menu tab the content region border is enough. Make tabs a little bigger and font size little bigger.

I think it looks good. Simple, clean; as long as you have published what the customer wants published then it is effective.

Probably needs a little work with SEO in mind

Last edited: