Cheap Webhosting for experimenting?

Discussion in 'Offers' started by Wuddupz, Apr 11, 2013.

to remove all ads.
  1. Wuddupz

Wuddupz New Member

I'm really new to web-design and want to try a cheap webhosting plan where I can just pay on a month-by-month basis and experiment with cpanel and other web-design elements. I shopped around to find that HostGator had pretty decent reviews and they charge $7 on a monthly basis and have all of the features I want to experiment with. I don't plan on getting the SiteLock addon or anything as of yet since I'm pretty much just using this as a sandbox.

So my question is, is HostGator good for this, or is there something else that is better/cheaper available? I don't mind paying around $10 a month if it means I get to experiment freely. Some other sites offer cheaper plans but if you don't get a 12-month bundle or something they add on activation fees and such, which hostgator doesn't seem to do. So yeah, should I carry forth with hostgator or try something else?

2. chrishirst

chrishirst Well-Known Member Staff Member

A couple of things to point out;

99.99999% of Hosting "reviews" are written by company 'shills' and/or affiliates trying to get you to use their ID to sign up with.

cPanel is not really anything to do with "web design", it is to manage your hosting, which can be done just as easily with WebMin, Plesk, OpenPanel and several others. But if you just want some "playing time" on a real server send me a PM and I'll give you access to a 'no strings' playground account. OS is Centos with cPanel 11, Softaculous and all the other usual gubbins. eMail is locked down tight though for obvious reasons.

3. Wuddupz

Wuddupz New Member

That sounds great, thanks so much!

Err I can't seem to send you a PM, when I click the link in your post it says I don't have access and I can't find a PM link anywhere on your profile.

4. Phreaddee

Phreaddee Super Moderator Staff Member

click chris' name, a dropdown will appear and one of the options will say "send a private message to chrishirst"

5. Wuddupz

Wuddupz New Member

These are the only options it gives:

View Public Profile
    Visit chrishirst's homepage!
    Find More Posts by chrishirst
    Add chrishirst to Your Contacts

6. Phreaddee

Phreaddee Super Moderator Staff Member

ah yes, for spam purposes, that function is disabled until you've made 10 posts.

7. Wuddupz

Wuddupz New Member

Ah I see, well hopefully chrish can still send a private message to me with the details.

8. chrishirst

Try clicking on the PM link in the post <<< or the one in this post.

9. chrishirst

However I never thought about the minimum posts bit.

... chris at tinf.co.uk will get to me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  10. Wuddupz

Wuddupz New Member

Alright I've sent you an e-mail, please let me know if you didn't receive it.

11. Nullified

Nullified New Member

Well that was nice of you to do for him. Not too many people out there will give out no strings attached play accounts.

12. Wuddupz

Wuddupz New Member

Yes, thanks very much chris!

13. chrishirst

Well, I can recall what is was like coming from a Windows only network with direct access to our inhouse IIS and MS Exchange servers, into the 'strange' world of remote Linux/Unix and WHM/cPanel.

14. jonbey

jonbey New Member

There are so many very good and cheap hosts now that free is not really required, IMO.

I get unlimited domains and that basic reseller account is about £30/mo.

15. gaster

gaster New Member

What's your budget?

16. Present

Present New Member

Resources. This is the first thing you look at in a host, if it provides the space, bandwidth and add-on domains you need incase your site becomes successful.

17. gaster

gaster New Member

Resources and support are main things.