Charging??

jonze

Hi all! I hope I put this in the right place -
I made this site for someone for free:
www.thescanningbureau.ie

How much would a site like this normally cost? It took me about two weeks to finish (in between college work and other stuff) and I had to learn some new skills to make it (php). If I had to make another one that was basically the same, it might take me about a week.
I'm just wondering for the future when I build a bit more of a portfolio, how much I should be charging because I really have no idea!!
I know it depends on skill, experience, design etc, but using this site as a basis for an estimate, how much do you think I should charge?

c)solutions

Nicely done!

Its a nice simple and clean site.

Like you said yourself; its hard to estimate what you should ask. There is always the risk of charging under par, so better ask a bit more, with the option to negiotiate yourself out of it. For a website like this, start with an amount of 500 euros and see if they take you serious. Dont go under 250.

I dont realy see the why there are two menu's. The one in the top and the one on the left.

Would you consider aligning the text to the left instead of centered. Centered text is less readable and because of that user unfriendly.

Niteo

I'm not sure what the conversion is into american dollars but i would say a site like that would grab about 800 to 1000. that's probably like 500 euros, right? But it all depends on the conditions of the contract. I've come to find when you start out, it's hard getting your name/portfolio out there and you end up working for less than your worth, and sometimes in trade. I just got three boards for making a custom epoxy surfboards site in addition to cold hard cash. But because the site got a bit pricey, we agreed on some surfboards instead of the final payment. in the end, everyone is stoked.

Is this the first site in your portfolio?

natenation

I would try to get at least 500, no less than that. You have to figure you are going to lose 30% to taxes... I've found if you undercharge clients will work you harder for revisions because they don't think you are a professional. That THEY are doing YOU a favor for hiring you, not the other way around.

Nate Johnson
Web Design - Comics - Illustration

http://www.natenation.com

Last edited by a moderator: