Center web site

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks to me like you've already figured it out.

although I'd recommend NOT using tables for layout tho. learn CSS

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks to me like you've already figured it out.

although I'd recommend NOT using tables for layout tho. learn CSS

+1 for CSS!

Define the width of your site (suggest 960px), and use the margin css property.
Code:
div.container {
width:960px;
margin:0 auto;
}

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
god damn it - don't autoplay music!
have to agree with dave here as well although its at least relevant to the site considering its for a musician, however you really should offer people the chance to play music when they are ready to, rather than force it on them.

To be honest it will have the opposite effect to what you are after, as if someone has a chance to look around and read about the artist, they'll more likely click a sample track to listen to if they are interested.

By playing it straight out, the artist is already at a disadvantage, as most people will immediately look for the stop button. if they cant they will shut down the browser. Also it puts a negative taste in peoples mouths so they are more critical of the work and will more often than not dismiss it.

It's like when you are having a disagreement with someone. if they go in all guns blazing then you immediately put yourself on the defensive, however if they explain their viewpoint to you in an open discussion you are then more likely to be more broad minded and then even agree to their point of view... slightly off centre analogy but it really is the same psychological concept.

web design is not just quality designs and top google rankings but userability and interaction needs to be considered too. By "forcing" a feature on a user such as autoplay music, (or popups, etc) it takes away the experience, and for want of a better word, ownership, the user feels with the website...