Cautions about using scripts

StephanieCordray

I'm not going to go into detail but I think there are enough people here asking questions about scripts and web apps that it needs to be said somewhere. If it's not in the right place, ian can kindly move it to the appropriate forum.

Once you've successfully installed and configured a script or web app your job is not done. It won't run forever with that configuration nor will it stay secure with that version for very long. There are a lot of nasties out there just waiting for opportunities to exploit vulnerable scripts.

As far as configuration and versions. Versions change to keep up with the updates and patches to things like mySQL and php. If you don't keep track and update when new versions come out there will come a time when your stuff just won't work right any more because they are incompatible with the newer versions of the stuff they use to operate. Kind of like Windows XP won't run very many programs from Windows 95 or 98 or ME for that matter.

So, peeps, never forget to check for updates to the apps you are using. The more important they are to your site the more often you need to check on current versions of them.

I'm not ranting. It just occurred to me that this is not something that is often addressed when members ask about how to do this or that, or wanting to use a content management system or a form script or any number of other database driven scripts. The reason it occurred to me is a customer has put himself in such a position and is looking at a lot of work to get it straightened out.

Your hosting services don't service the scripts for you nor are they required to. They just give you the tools to be able to use them... but because I'm a nice lady...

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well said, although updates are sometimes still not enough to protect you, they certainly help. Although sometimes, these lessons are only learned by mistake.

StephanieCordray

Splendidesign said:
You can normally find the updates on the script provider's site i.e. http://www.php.net/

Yah... I know... the problem is, a lot of people will install a script and run it for years in an unpatched, unguarded, and unupdated state and are stymied later when it breaks because it will no longer run with other software upgrades on their servers.