Career Advice:

d_0_n_u_t

I currently am a college student taking some basic web design courses. I enjoy putting together websites and content and like to dabble with low end graphics. I am, however, NOT a graphic designer by any means.

My question is, what advice could you give to a "non graphics" person wanting to make themselves marketable to join a web design team at a company. I enjoy the CSS and xhtml part of coding and putting everything together. Is it possible to become marketable by gaining extensive knowledge in PHP, CSS and XHTML and still have a shot at joining a companies web team? Or do I have to be graphically elite instead?

I hope this makes sense. I love web development and putting all of the pieces together, I'm just not an artist. I'm confident I can take an artists work and apply it to a workable web page though...and that's what I'd like to do.

Suggestions for areas of emphasis? Thanks!

LouTheDesigner

I was just like you not long ago. My advise, study typography. It seems a bit more objective than what we think of as graphic design. For color, I highly highly highly recommend kuler.adobe.com That website is amazing for working with color.

good luck,
Louis

darrenfox

It depends on what kind of company you want to work for. Large companies have departments just for development and has others work on just the design. If you like coding you can go the route of becoming a programmer which usually makes more than a designer but you would need to pick up a couple of more languages like php and asp.