Career Advice?

leroyjenkins

Is there a more specific thread I should post this in?

Anyways, hi there. I'm a sophomore in college, attempting to turn my life around for the better. At the moment, I'm a Video Production major, but I'm hoping to change that for something more sensible.

I've heard about a demand for webmasters/or just people in general to build/manage websites for businesses, and I don't think that I would mind updating/fixing daily problems on a site...considering that I'm always on the web, every day. I know it's not as simple as that, but at least I have a bit of reason for attempting to pursue this.

My main point is to essentially find out if what I've been told about web design is true.

A good prof./boss of mine had a deep talk last night, and concluded that turning my majors around would be best. Video production is a pretty sucky industry...more so than most. Demand is iffy, "all about who you know, not what you know", etc. What he theorized was that if I attained the ability to build/manage an attractive website for a business, that my experience in HD video production would give me an edge. He explained (roughly) "...with HTML5 coming, creating huge possibilities for HD streaming video to mobile devices, etc, and the demand for people who want the Video+Web formula, you should learn how to build websites, inside-out..."

Mkay, so is he just pulling my leg? I know that's he's never had experience being a webmaster or designer for the internet, but from what he reads in Streaming Media magazine, this is the coming future.

That's really it. I'd just like to know if my colleague is crazy, completely right, or a bit of both.

I feel that my life/career needs a big change like this, so any advice on the subject is welcomed.

Harshly, fire away!

Thanks,
Leroy

Timothy Scotch

Do you want to work for fun, or to make money?

What pays well is the result of supply/demand. If there is lots of supply and little demand. There will be no of money to be made. If there is little supply and lots of demand there will be loads of money to be made.

The things is this however: All emerging markets start off with low siupply and lots of demand. So in the beggining in the web/video market there will be good money to be made by those who can do it well.

What will happen....as is happening with web design right now (and for a while) is that lots of noobs will come along pretending they know what they are doing. After all, anyone can get into web design, all they need is a computer.....web development is deemed fun....fun things people like to do so supply goes up....profits go down....

Once that happens there will not be a great deal of money to be made.

The worst thing about the web development industry is the constant change. When you are dealing with transient information you will wake up at 45 and realise....dude...that 20 year old knows more than me....

My advice is do a boring ass job :) Become an accountant....

rwebber77

I agree with Timothy to a certain extent. Profits are consistently going down unless you are a high end prestigious firm with fortune 500 company clients, but I do a lot of work locally and keep busy at normal shop rates. With that said, I do love my career choice as a programmer but as Timothy said it's nearly impossible to keep up with technology changes. As soon as you learn the latest and greatest jQuery (just an example) it will most likely be outdated by something off the wall and simpler like a wysiwyg that functions from voice commands or something.

Whatever your choice, make it because you love what you are doing.

thomas206

How far along are you with your video production major? You obviously should just do something because it's in "demand," because you may regret it later on doing a job you absolutely cannot stand. But if you think that you may be interested in web development--then YES, it is a good industry to be in. It's also very competitive, but there's also a LOT of opportunities to put you in the right position.

Here are two articles breaking down both industries you're interested from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that will give you the whole scope of what you might be getting into:
1. http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs038.htm - motion picture and video industries
2. http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs033.htm - computer systems and design industries

I'm not sure where you're getting your degree from right now or how accredited the school is, but http://www.onlinecomputersciencedegree.com/ might be a good alternative to online schooling, or http://www.devry.edu/ who offers CS degrees as well.

If you just figure out what you're actually interested in and what you can see yourself doing as career--that would be the key. Are you passionate about video production? Or are you leaning towards web because you'll have a secure job?

leroyjenkins

How far along are you with your video production major? You obviously should just do something because it's in "demand," because you may regret it later on doing a job you absolutely cannot stand. But if you think that you may be interested in web development--then YES, it is a good industry to be in. It's also very competitive, but there's also a LOT of opportunities to put you in the right position.

Here are two articles breaking down both industries you're interested from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that will give you the whole scope of what you might be getting into:
1. http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs038.htm - motion picture and video industries
2. http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs033.htm - computer systems and design industries

I'm not sure where you're getting your degree from right now or how accredited the school is, but http://www.onlinecomputersciencedegree.com/ might be a good alternative to online schooling, or http://www.devry.edu/ who offers CS degrees as well.

If you just figure out what you're actually interested in and what you can see yourself doing as career--that would be the key. Are you passionate about video production? Or are you leaning towards web because you'll have a secure job?

Thanks for replying guys.

Yes, deep down, I am leaning towards the web because it sounds more secure. I've been told that the ability to be a web designer/webmaster in the video industry gives an edge, though, I'd rather apply that vice versa. Rather than rely solely off video production, I'm willing to make a life change to rely off web design + a minor edge with my previous video skills.

If that doesn't make any sense, then I guess just knowing both would help me more in the long run. Apparently it's all about being able to know and do everything these days.

Thanks again for the response,
Leroy

AK Web Design

Stay with video production and learn web design on the side. If you practice it for the rest of your college career, you'll be good enough to make some money off of it while enjoying your video production career.

thomas206

Yes, deep down, I am leaning towards the web because it sounds more secure. I've been told that the ability to be a web designer/webmaster in the video industry gives an edge, though, I'd rather apply that vice versa. Rather than rely solely off video production, I'm willing to make a life change to rely off web design + a minor edge with my previous video skills.

If that doesn't make any sense, then I guess just knowing both would help me more in the long run. Apparently it's all about being able to know and do everything these days.

Leroy

That sounds like a great plan! Yes, there are a LOT of other web designers out there...but not all of them also have video production...that could totally make you stand out from the rest and be unique. And yup! Pretty much we all need to be sponges and absorb any type of job thrown at us or skills that will just make us more diverse and well rounded in our field. Good luck, sir!

jumpingspider

Leroy

I agree. Knowing both sides would really give you more advantage. Why stick to one when you can try/do both? That would be perfect! Good Luck on your career!! ;)

BMA

Banned
Could you spend all night working on perfecting a video production just because you obsess over getting as good as you can get it? If so video production is in your blood and worth sticking with. Web design is a highly competitive and fast changing field. Take a few classes in web design and keep working on websites so you can add that to your resume, but don't bank on web design alone as a career. The video thing will give you a nice edge. What you really want is a serious minor in business and marketing to back up all the specific skills you are learning. This will prepare you years down the road when you are ready to start your own (website design firm, internet video production firm, stock advertising video firm, wedding and event video studio, television advertising firm, etc.) There is a ton of call for video production. The trick is just being prepared to seize the opportunities of your tomorrows. That's were a business and marketing minor would come in.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
all I've got to say is that a crap web designer will get just as little work as a crap video producer. if your at the top of your game with either, you'll get work.

and both pursuits are essentially creatives. if money and financial security is your prime focus, you'll be spat out and eaten for breakfast. trust me.

become a lawyer or something crap like that which is ALL about money. I can always tell a web designer who is designing from his heart, and who is designing from his pocket, and I can also guarantee you which one gets the right jobs...

just think about it.

davidwilla1

currently I am working as a part time employee in a courier company , but I have great interest in web designing field, can any one suggest me some good web designing courses?

artland_02

Do you want to work for fun, or to make money?

What pays well is the result of supply/demand. If there is lots of supply and little demand. There will be no of money to be made. If there is little supply and lots of demand there will be loads of money to be made.

The things is this however: All emerging markets start off with low siupply and lots of demand. So in the beggining in the web/video market there will be good money to be made by those who can do it well.

What will happen....as is happening with web design right now (and for a while) is that lots of noobs will come along pretending they know what they are doing. After all, anyone can get into web design, all they need is a computer.....web development is deemed fun....fun things people like to do so supply goes up....profits go down....

Once that happens there will not be a great deal of money to be made.

The worst thing about the web development industry is the constant change. When you are dealing with transient information you will wake up at 45 and realise....dude...that 20 year old knows more than me....

My advice is do a boring ass job :) Become an accountant....

I definitely doing work both for fun and money. Well, i accept my job because i love what i am doing. Aside from enjoying it i can earn too. I am a workaholic person but i rewards myself going to amusement center to have fun. We should keep in mind that both of that are important.

spill kits
debt management company