Car parts E- Commerce Site Help

Zabusa88

Hi all, new to the forums. i took a gig making a website for a client who sells car parts. Im wondering what the best way to go about the navigation of the site would be. Im on the fence between conditional dropdowns with javascript or a purely link based navigation from model page to a year page and finally down to the different part sections to choose within that model. My main concern would be the fact that the catalog contains over 300 parts and I am also wondering a way to organize that in a way that would make it easy to link the parts each model has available vs the full list of parts/pages.

MarkR

With that many parts I would recommend storing them in a database and calling/displaying them using PHP.

That way what ever way you do it will minimise the amount of effort you will need to put into remaking it if you don't like the first way.

It might look cluttered all on one page but if you use javascript to create layers of sub menus it might look all right.

Zabusa88

ok, well, i guess this may be a bit for me to handle since im not even remotely familiar with PHP. When you call each part it should pull the html doc created with that part correct?

Zabusa88

Ok. So i think im going to just learn PHP by doing this site. I have until march which should be plenty of time to get all the info I need and finish this website. In the PHP script, would I be calling the html pages based on the part requested or changing the contents of one page based ob the selection?