CAPTCHA and Accessibility

Absolution

I have a page where people can get in contact with me with a simple php mailer. I use a very simple CAPTCHA which does seem to currently hold off spammers. As you see here:

http://www.skepticize.me/about/index.php

But I am concerned about its accessibility for those who are blind, as they will not be able to see the image to read the text. Any suggestions on making it more accessible?

DHDdirect

Yeah got me on that one. They'd have to have a special computer wouldn't they? Which I would assume would be able to translate text to braille anyway.

Absolution

Yeah got me on that one. They'd have to have a special computer wouldn't they? Which I would assume would be able to translate text to braille anyway.

Hmmmm if there are special braille characters I could use that might be an option. I'll need to research into it more. Any other character a spam bot would be able to recognize.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I commend you for your desire to adhere to wcag, I would hazard a guess that someone who is both blind + deaf does not usually surf the net. And if they did, you would have far more issues than just the captcha. Try it yourself, put ear plugs in and a blindfold. 1. How did you go finding the address bar? And even if you did, how do you know that its loaded? If a blind and deaf person was needing to use the net, the chances are that somone else would retrieve the info they require and translate that into braille in some way or another...by all means accessibility is important, and you can accommodate both blind, and deaf folk, but I just dont see how a nonphysical environment like the internet would even be a priority to someone missing both senses. Their other senses would be heightened, smell, touch, taste...and those would be seen as most rewarding, certainly not a medium that in essence is just the two that are missing.

Roka

As much as I commend you for your desire to adhere to wcag, I would hazard a guess that someone who is both blind + deaf does not usually surf the net. And if they did, you would have far more issues than just the captcha. Try it yourself, put ear plugs in and a blindfold. 1. How did you go finding the address bar? And even if you did, how do you know that its loaded? If a blind and deaf person was needing to use the net, the chances are that somone else would retrieve the info they require and translate that into braille in some way or another...by all means accessibility is important, and you can accommodate both blind, and deaf folk, but I just dont see how a nonphysical environment like the internet would even be a priority to someone missing both senses. Their other senses would be heightened, smell, touch, taste...and those would be seen as most rewarding, certainly not a medium that in essence is just the two that are missing.

really, you are right. i think the blind or deaf person need some option in printer to print what he or she surf on the Internet into braille in some way or another he or she can read and understand

Absolution

really, you are right. i think the blind or deaf person need some option in printer to print what he or she surf on the Internet into braille in some way or another he or she can read and understand

I have seen braille touch devices, they are rows of cells each of it has 9 pins which mechanically protrude out and they change when the user scrolls through text. I have seen people use computers with them, not surf the net with them however.