Can you tell me something about this?

Mshockey

I work for a company and I was wanting to know what this format (of web design) this is called. I work for company B (ok'ed by both) and they use wordpress to design their site.

Here is the what the admin console looks like for company A.
Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 2.29.10 PM.jpg

I am meeting with company B this week to discuss their website. I would like to propose that they switch to the above admin console, but I am not sure on the name/how to describe it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Mshockey

Edge

So you want them to switch from the world most popular web publishing tool backed by a huge community to Adobe's proprietary solution backed by a very small community - out of curiosity can I ask why?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
...Adobe's proprietary solution backed by a very small community...

Backed by a team of professional, paid customer support personnel...

I don't use BC myself, but there are certain perks to using paid software. WP has a great community, but there's no one you can just call and get a solution to a problem on the spot.

Edge

Don't get me wrong, I ain't saying they shouldn't - I just wanted to know the reasons.
To be honest I don't know much about it and what it offers but one of my concerns would be the ability to locally recruit experienced developers who have worked with it.

I agree there are perks to using paid software and indeed it can often work out cheaper as I have experienced. Open source software tends to be light on the documentation as documentation is boring so no-one does it.

Mshockey

I am just simply more familiar with BC. I still haven't figured out how I can work on certain parts of the site. I can't find what seems to be content holders, and when I try to change the menu, it's unresponsive.

But maybe you guys are right. This is a small company that I am working for and they may not want to pay for BC. I never had to pay for BC, the other company I work for probably did, but I didn't know what it was or the fact that it was a paid program.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
just because WP is "popular" does not mean it's the best solution.

Like ronald said, it's got support channels.

and the community is small but awesome.

I've rolled out both WP and BC sites to clients.

I know which one they always prefer to use to update and manage all their business.
if the client is a developer who likes to get their hands dirty then maybe it's not the best solution.
I've yet to find a client like that though.

content holders are like php includes.

if you want specific help give me a PM.
I've been working with BC since 2008 so I know my way around it pretty well.

Mshockey

I'm not sure how to PM you. I understand BC pretty well. I don't find it difficult to use. I can't seem to make changes on the WP site. I did, however, find the editor page. But when I try to edit the code, it won't save and/or publish to the site. I noticed some of the files were PHP files. I started today to teach myself PHP, but as a college student I don't have much time :)

Do you know how I can make those changes in the editor? We are using the Arthemia Premium template. (It may not be a template, I'm not quite sure what it is, to be honest.)

Edge

just because WP is "popular" does not mean it's the best solution.
Absolutely, the solution should be built around the clients needs rather than the developer's needs. What I sensed might be happening here is a solution and all the new changes that go with it are being introduced purely to fit the developer's needs. I don't think that's an ideal driver for change.

Mshockey

I'm starting to agree with you guys. For this particular business, WP would be the best option. I'm still fairly new to web design so I guess I will just have to learn WP. I still can't seem to make the changes I need to make in editor. Whenever I press "update file" it's as if I didn't make any changes at all.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
File permissions are probably restricted. Try going thru FTP, downloading, editing and reupload.