Can you please help determine why this web site is slow?

Moondreamer

Hello,

A web site for a client of mine recently started experiencing very slow loading of the home page - www.bksenvironmental.com. I realize the site is graphically intense and there are a few things I could do to to improve the loading speed. However, the other pages within the web site load well and when going to www.bksenvironmental.com/index.html it seems to load quickly. When typing in the domain, it stalls on the current page you have open and when the page starts to appear it then finishes loading quickly. I have contacted their hosting provider and they do not believe it to be a problem with the server. Until just the other day I hadn't made any changes to this home page (it was experiencing the problem before then) in about a year, and this problem has ony existed for maybe a month at most. I looked at this page using YSlow and although there were a couple things I could do, the same things were suggested for the other pages within the site that load fine. Any ideas/advice on what might be going on?

danf

Have you tried moving the page to another server, such as a server on your own machine and seeing if you have the same problem? If the server is taking a long time to go to index.html, there isn't much you can do to the file itself.. It sounds to me like you should do a local test and then call the hosting provider again if you don't see the problem on your own server.

jnjc

I have checked out both links and there is definitely something awry. From the looks of things the problem is with you hosting company. You need to get them onto it....

smashwebs

Call your hosting company, it's a server problem. Try optimizing your images in fireworks too, than will help.