Can you make a good template using notepad and html?

only_huce

I am currently reconstructing my site hucehatesyou.com and everything which is currently on it was all done on notepad using html. Although I am sort of happy with the design, I want to change one thing about it...

I want the material on the page to be in a box that's on top of the background. So basically it would be the background the site has now, and then a box on top of the background where all the site material would be, kinda like the way it is on gamespot.com, so the background borders the box. The main thing however is that I'm wondering if it's possible to do all of that on notepad, or do I need a program?

jnjc

You should be able to do what you want easily in notepad. Basically all you need to do is wrap your content in a div and style the div. Something along the lines of:

At the top of your page put:

<style>
.MainDiv {
border:solid 2px #000;
width:750px;
background-color:#eeeeee;
}

</style>

then just under the body tag put:

<body>
<div class="MainDiv">
Your content
</div>
</body>

It'll need some tweaking to get it to look the way you want, but that should get you started...

rady

My opinion is that for the beginning, it is very useful to know to write html code in notepad.
In this way you can understand and learn better html language.

adamblan

Dreamweaver, Frontpage, GoLive, etc. are all just tools for writing markup...

Notepad is kind of like using a hammer, where the specialized software is more like using a nailgun; You don't need a nailgun, but it will make the job go faster.;)

joe

Dreamweaver and all other programs like it are for those who like to put "Visual" in front of their favorite languages. So Dreamweaver kind of does "Visual HTML". For those of us who prefer to not be restrained, notepad or textwrangler are the way to go.

Rob_PWD

Hi Everybody I'm new here but would like to add a post to this thread.
I write most of my code by hand and although it is possible with notepad its not the best route as so many mistakes can creep in.
I use programmers notepad, you can download it for free and if after you run it you get rid of most of the windows you will see that it shows your script in colored code and recognizes the mistakes as well, which is a great help to a person trying HTML and CSS or even PHP for the first time.
Rob

sheanhoxie

I personally like Notepad++ With that being said, if your a newbie, its probably easier if you start with a wysiwyg editor and then you can take a look at the code of what your creating using the program. I think you can download a fully functional trial version of Dreamweaver from Adobe.com

Last edited:

Shaun

For learning CSS, HTML, and even some javascript a quick way to get some results and learn at the same time it so use http://psd2cssonline.com . It will generate a working web page (drop down menus, rollovers, center the page, etc., etc.) from a photoshop file. The code generated has tons of comments in it to explain what is what and why. That way you have a page that works, and a great starting point for further customization. At that point it's all Notepad++! or my personal favorite GVIM. Ok, don't try to learn gvim it's a pain in the butt.
--
Shaun

wetgravy

I use notepad almost exclusively for making websites. Programs like dreamweaver only help because they have fast option menu's and a preview screen ... but are just notepad with some bells and whistles for the most part. I would learn some CSS and some photoshop tricks for websites. Or at least look into making a consistant website (all pages contain the same formatting.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah you could use notepad, it will still give you the same result in end...code is code.
Apps like DW are great because they have helpful color coding, and formatting which can make looking at large chunks of code easier on the eye. But all in all, yeah they just have a better GUI (and some other pre-built stuff like templates, toolboxes, etc.)

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dreamweaver and all other programs like it are for those who like to put "Visual" in front of their favorite languages. So Dreamweaver kind of does "Visual HTML". For those of us who prefer to not be restrained, notepad or textwrangler are the way to go.

Visual for those who use the Design view. I don't see how the Code view of DW would restrain anyone?