Can someone please help me break ouf of these frames?

musicollector

I have a two-part question.

1. Pursuant to the response to a recent posted query of mine, it looks as if I have raised some eyebrows with my frames! Is there a better way I can present this site without frames?

http://harry.cckerala.com

First of all, is there anything fundamentally wrong with frames, to start with?

2. I started this web site in 1997 using HTML from the ground up, as there were not too many easily accessible web editors in those days. As a result, I never did use style sheets. As I am progressing, I find it unwieldy continuing this way. I really need to start using CSS files. The only problem is how can I do this? I am trying to get my mind wrapped around style sheets, but so far, though I have looked at several how to instructions, I have not found instructions that are simple and easy to understand. They all seem too complicated.

Also, would it be difficult to switch to style sheets at this point in time now that I have built my site the old-fashioned way?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Harry

jnjc

It was probably me who helped sow the seed of doubt in your mind about frames.

You will find a lot of talk around about frames and most of it is people slamming their use. The main reason people cite for not using frames is that search engines can struggle with them.

From personal experience I have inherited a few sites that use frames and they have been terribly difficult to work with. I have had problems with timings because one frame will render quicker than another. Also when using Ajax calls having frames caused me a lot of pain.

All that said I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you are happy with your site and it's doing what you want it to do then I'd leave well enough alone.

If a re-design of the site is on the cards that would be a good time to maybe try and do what you want without frames.

musicollector

Yes, indeed it was you, as I see, and I am thankful for your feedback. :)

It is working fine, but I am wondering if the hits could be increased if the robots had an easier time with the site??

Anyway, seeing that this is where I come to get my site evaluated, might you have a better layout for me? If so, could you kindly point me to the link where the template can be found?

Also, if you know of any very simple CSS how to document on the Net, please direct me to that, as well.

Thanks a million.

Harry
http:/harry.cckerala.com