Can I do this in Dreamweaver?

virgo

My first post....

I have already searched the forum and can't find anything that might help. I'm not even sure what term is used to describe what i'm looking for (pretty new to Dreamweaver) and it's a little difficult to describe but here goes...

I have a blank image on a webpage with a text field below it stating "click image above for gift selection".

I want customers to click on that blank image, which will then open up a new window. The new window will show images and short description of products they can choose from.

Once they double click to make their selection I want the new window to close and for the image they choose to now replace the image on the first page, and also fill in the product description in the field below the image.

I've been stuck on this for over a week and it's driving me ga-ga :confused:

Are there any suggestions you guys can make to help me with this?

netware

no one is going to click on a blank image, u should do something about it

to pop a new window, u just link the adress and set TARGET as in new page

about the new window loading, and then reloading on the old window, isnt it better, just to get the product load on the same page, instead of poping new windows ?? and then, once they choose, their product, pop the product already chosen on new window,

i dont recall any way to load a aold window from a new one, but there might be a way, i dunt know how to do that part, but someone might tell you if its possible . . still just load it on the same page

virgo

Hi netware,

Thanks for a quick response.

I'm probably being a bit rubbish a describing my query. What i'm stuck on is a way to transfer values from a new window to replace the values in the original window.

(Just to help...

The "blank" image will most likely say "click here" on it...blank in terms of no product selected.

The reason i would like a window to pop up is my webpage layout doesn't allow me the space to display the variaty of products i would like to, 50 or so. I would like to keep the same layout of my website throughout but be able to offer customers a pop up window wher they can select an item of their choice. )

virgo

Thank you netware,

I will try these links out and hopefully i might come across what i'm looking for.

I appreciate your quick responses.

Cheers

suz

Could you maybe select target=_parent in the new popup window on the product images? I have no idea if this would work so it's just a guess but might be worth a try.

virgo

Thanks Suz,

I've searched a little but haven't found much yet. I will keep looking though.

A better description of what I'm trying to acheive is to have something similar to pop-up calenders - although using images and descriptions instead of dates on the month.

Would this be possible?

virgo

Thank you for the advice Stephanie. I've searched the website and some from the links on there too. I just can't find anything close to what I'm after.

How would this type of javascipt be described as? (i.e. menu/form/pop-up?) I've only started learning about web design recently and I'm learning as i go along.

stuluk28

hey, I know you asked if this could be done in dreamweaver? And It sound like it'll be quite tricky. But... It could very easily be achieved in flash?

I'm not sure how you feel about using flash, some people shun it away, however, you could very easily use it to open a new window (wouldn't even need to be a new browser window, it could just appear in the flash movie). Let the user click and select all the information they want, have flash save them as variables then let the main page dynamicaly update to reflect these changes?

Also thinking about it, most shopping carts have a way of changing and editing bits of information with an 'update changes button' you could have one of those then use PHP or javascript or another scripting language to update the fields with the new results?

Just some thoughts...