Can Blog Commenting Hurt Your SEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4goodhosting

I have found out this afternoon how commenting on related blogs of high page rank can hurt your SEO by bringing down your standings.

My page was number one for a particular keyword, the first result. But a week after leaving a comment on a related blog, that blog is now number one in the results and I am number four.

I believe this is due in part to that page having more content, older age, and more traffic. Yet, since I put up a site map for Google my page has been the first ranking, until leaving this comment.

Should I request the comment be deleted or learn my lesson? What is the lesson to be learned? Do I need to comment on lower page rank blogs?

jumpingspider

I have found out this afternoon how commenting on related blogs of high page rank can hurt your SEO by bringing down your standings.

My page was number one for a particular keyword, the first result. But a week after leaving a comment on a related blog, that blog is now number one in the results and I am number four.

I believe this is due in part to that page having more content, older age, and more traffic. Yet, since I put up a site map for Google my page has been the first ranking, until leaving this comment.

Should I request the comment be deleted or learn my lesson? What is the lesson to be learned? Do I need to comment on lower page rank blogs?

I don't think that's it's because you are doing that particular comment! I guess you should also do other strategy out there! Because blog commenting is just 1 of those strategies!

bravoman2

The only way blog commenting can hurt your SEO is if you use software to post the comments and get a lot of comments in a short period of time. Google is able to detect the amount of links for comments and when done manually you are not able to get many, but if you do get, say, a couple of hundred, that would rise suspicion.

expo09

This will not be the reason for your decline is ranking, or the rise of the site you left the comment on. If you have only been blog commenting and all of your links come from this then it could look spammy. But one comment would not have had this impact. Sometimes you can get an initial jump in the rankings when your site is new or you start link building and then it levels off a little. This is more likely to be the reason for your drop in ranking.

zipinel

The problem is not from the blog comments..the problem comes because your competitors are becoming stronger.

bermuda

Usually, blog comments are not going to hurt your web rankings, even when you attempt to leave replies and comments on blogs which are filled with many outgoing links and the sites that are not related to your niche. Tens of factors can be mentioned in this regard that could justify when sometimes ranks drop. It could be due to the age of your domain and how your competitors have been promoting their web businesses online. Using anchors too while building links could be very important.

The fluctuation in your web rank could be a temporary issue and after a couple of days your ranks may return back to the normal mode once again. Try working on your web tasks including building links for your site and at the same time add fresh materials to your pages, the articles that would be liked by net audience and people. Even top-ranking domains are experiencing drops in ranks in some cases because changes in algorithms sometimes causes ups and downs that are normal.

flexi.marketing

Well don't just rely on blog commenting! It is a good tool but you must also build up quality backlinks to get your site up there...

addyj672

I don't think blog commenting hurt your website ranking and increase the ranking of that website on which you have made comment. Blog commenting if done properly then it helps in getting good ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.