Building a Wordpress theme please take a look!

amorrisweb

Hey guys I am trying to build out my first full Wordpress theme. It is still in progress and needs a few more background images and such but I would like some constructive criticism at the point to make it better! the url is http://www.wptest.web44.net/wordpress. Thanks for looking and appreciate feedback!

Fireproofgfx

The colors don't work very well with each other. Check out Kuler.com and use colors that compliment each other and flow better.

amorrisweb

Thanks for the input guys I checked out that website and decided on a different color scheme entirely. Thanks for the input it looks much cleaner now to me!

I must say I agree with web_critic. The logo (especially the shadow) and the rest of the colors just don't work well together with the gray background. For a business site like this, a white or very light gray background might work better. The logo looks like "CVC" not "OVC". And the menu should be in sans-serif font.

krymson

ok... this is going to sound harsh but im not going to sugar coat it for you...

The way i see it this is no where near being done. This looks like something some one spent MAYBE an hour on. the images look awful and pixelated, the color scheme is still terrible the menu is all jacked up, the logo images cuts into the menu area, the footer area wtf is going on there, the layout is boreing, THE ONLY thing good about your site is the social area.

With that being said this is what I recommend:

1. Look at competitor sites see what they're doing... and dont do what they're doing, be unique, make site stand out from the competition.

2. Focus on a color scheme, something that's going to work with your logo, cause right now the blue in your logo gets lost in your background. Make note of the hex codes.

3. If you're not proficient with photoshop, sketch a layout... make it pretty detailed. If you're sketching use the correct hex codes for the areas you want that color to be in.

4. Next code your design semantically, Google it if you dont know it, in HTML5 and CSS3.

5. Then start coding it for WordPress and even with that its copy paste.

6. Figure out your keywords and write a good description.

7. Write your copy for your site using those keywords and using the headings in the right place.

8. Submit your site to search engines and set up analytics on your site.

If you follow this guide you will have a more effective website. If you want help let me know in a PM or send me a message through my website (link located in my signature).

If I sounded harsh its because I expect people to critique my work the same way. Like I said though if you want or need help I can help you to a certain extent. I admire your enthusiam on building this on your own though, its not easy.

Last edited: