Broken image links...why?

236design

I am a graphic designer but do very little web design when I can. My personal site was done in Dreamweaver CS4 and for some reason, some of my image links are broken (missing). I have no idea why as I created/saved and linked all images on my site exactly the same. When I check my site from my computer (in Safari) everything looks fine. It even looks okay on other MACs. The problem is that certain images don't come up when viewed on a PC (explorer).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

www.236design.com

- Doug

codeguardian

The most common reason is that the link just not correct to be viewed on all browsers. Just check the link in your browser and see if the link is correct. Remember that your browser may save the image and display it even if the link becomes broken, so delete browser saved files. One problem some times happens is the file permission. Well I hope that helps.

JMeZigns

To add to Ras's post:

Check case sensitive links. A site run locally can usually find the image but a server will be case sensitive.

And of course there is the IE contingent.

"If something is gonna break it will break in IE." :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doug,
I am using a PC and I checked you site out in FF3.5 and IE8. The image links for the most part seem to work fine. One error I did encounter was on the "invitation" page. You need to fix the "href" for each link in the navigation at the top. For some reason on this page [invitation] all your links are prefixed with "Announcements/posters.html" instead of just the page name "posters.html"

What this is doing is: the browser is now looking for all your pages inside a directory named "Announcements" which doesn't exist. All your pages are on the same root directory as Announcements.html [not inside an announcements directory] make sense?

To critique the site....you have some very nice print work, but the site does not showcase it very well. There is very little structure to the design. All the navigation is image-based, many of which have ugly borders around them (default style of an image link), and worst of all, it is all built with tables. I would consider either learning more about css/html and build a new site, or get a web pro to do it for you.

Good luck

Last edited: