Books: Desktop reference

brucemc777

A long, long time ago when I was learning "Clipper" I found an excellent paperback reference book that listed every command, it's syntax, methods, operators, variables, then a solid explanation and a couple examples. Oh how I wish there was such for vba, but to the point now:

Is there something that one of you pros would recommend like the above for HTML, CSS, PHP, JS and anything else I best pack into a web building arsenal, keeping in mind that I ain't exactly rich ;) ...

I see a bunch of books at Amazon, but I can't afford to tool through each one in search of something that is concise and accurate. I like the php.org website manual and know I can download, but I rather not print out so many pages. I am old, my eyes are not what they used to be, and am somewhat stubborn and want (an) actual book(s)!!!

AsheSkyler

I'm no pro, but I would love a book like that on each language. Flipping through a book is much easier than clicking through links. After I learn the essentials, I don't mind link hopping so much.

brucemc777

Thank-you. It's just that I think I am burning out my eyeballs on these screens and an actual reference book would be a nice break!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
the smashing magazine series of books are a good read
https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/

they are not "how to..." books but I think they are better in any case then getting "how to..." books because they help you to think about the concepts a lot more, rather than blindly teaching you "hello world" where you cant see real world context...