Billing/Invoices

lolkaykay

What do you guys use to send invoices/collect money from non-local clients? I've been using paypal but it takes a really big percentage out of my hard-earned money.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
When billing a client I send a personalized pdf invoice, and then have them send me a check. Yes you could argue that the check could bounce, but I do my best to stick to reputable/trustworthy businesses.

Paypal is not necessarily a bad way to go but two issues that stand out to me are:

1. the fees for money transfers
  2. a slight lack of professionalism

lolkaykay

I'm not really sure if I can trust companies/clients though. I did the first time and I didn't get paid, so I always like to collect payment before I send deliverable. I feel like a check would take too much time to get to me and it would delay me sending over the finished project.

HarrisO

Katie, paypal has actually the lowest fees available online. If you have a registered business, then you should open a Bank of America small business account which gives you the "express invoice service". It is an area where you can create invoices and send to your clients, they can login and pay without the need to have a BoA account. It is basically a client's payment area which they can login at any time and pay the invoices assigned to them. You don't pay any fees besides the account monthly maintenance fee.