Bilingual Website - How is translation done?

follicle

Greetings.

I am in in-house graphic designer who designed and launched our new corporate website about a year ago. I'm fairly new to the web design world, but I am knowledgeable enough to create a simple, decently designed website.

The overall design of the site is very simple (think holy grail template). All-in-all, the site consists of approximately thirty pages. These pages range from very little in text/photo content to quite a lot. 75% of the pages contain a minimum of four enlargeable photos on the page with captions (all displayed in Lightbox). We also have pages that are updated on a regular basis (i.e. current projects, news, job openings, etc.). In conclusion, the website design is very basic, but we have quite a lot of content.

Recently, we have come to the conclusion that the website needs to be accessible in Spanish in addition to English. After doing some research and taking into consideration my current knowledge of web design, I have come to the conclusion that the easiest way to pull this off is the have all of the content translated by a professional and then create a separate site for the Spanish content (for example: www.mywebsite.com/spanish/index.html). While I will have to maintain two different websites, I figured it would be the best route to take considering my level of knowledge.

Here's my question to any professional web designers out there: After you get everything translated and up and running, how do you handle updates?

I'm assuming most designers would utilize a professional translator. This would work well for the initial bulk of the site's content; however, whenever I face any kind of update and/or correction, I'll have to go to the translator and ask him or her to translate something as simple as one sentence (which, of course, is rightfully billable). Most of the site won't change; however, I will have to contact the translator when:

• We are awarded a new project (this happens often)
  • We have any news stories
  • A job opening is made available (this happens often)
  • We have changes in management
  • Etc.
I know it's a non-technical related question, but how do designers best handle keeping bilingual website up-to-date? Are there any other routes I should be exploring?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

LouTheDesigner

You can use a CMS with placeholders, and pull in different text through language files. BUT, if you are fairly new, then this might be a bit above you at the moment.

-Lou

follicle

Unfortunately, there really doesn't seem to be too much written on the topic from a "best practices" and non-technical stand point.

I figured maintaining two separate sites would be the way to go.

Oribium

Cms

In many cases organizations are using a CMS for their website. Then, even a person without skills in HTML can update the site, most often with a web based word processor like interface. I would recommend a CMS for a multilingual site. I figure it will be easier to maintain.

Last edited: