best laptop, design career?

PlanetMyHero

I plan to buy a brand new laptop (HP - Asus or Sony, , based on Best Laptop Brands)

I need some suggestions for these 3 laptop brands, what's is the best for Web Designer + test Code, some online games

Thanks!

updated: my budget is $800

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know about "best" for 600...
Currently using a MacBook pro which I'm finding so much "better" than previous laptops I've had including hp and asus . Neither of which I found to be that fantastic. I'd probably say the fastest CPU, most memory, and not win8 that you can get for your budget would be the "best"

Edge

I resisted temptation to get a new laptop and just got a 500gb solid state drive for about £270 (approx $350) - boots up in secs and new applications open and close real quick. The laptop looks a bit shit though.

Hazey Coder

I resisted temptation to get a new laptop and just got a 500gb solid state drive for about £270 (approx $350) - boots up in secs and new applications open and close real quick. The laptop looks a bit shit though.

I fell into the same mistake. You know SSDs shrink over time, right?

I would get a highly customized dell. The best way to get a discount is to simply start up a chat on the dell website, and tell them exactly what you need. I happened to get $550 off my order when the person said I'd be getting a processor that doesn't exist. I even gave them a link to the Centrium website to prove it lol. But yeah, go with a dell.

My iMac is great for screen real estate and everything, but I don't get the programs that I want (WinSCP and Notepad++). I can't really live without those. Also, I don't know how someone could develop on a Macbook Air. Those are better used for travel / conferences -- not exactly a performance machine.

And the fans on Macbooks are under the keyboard, so your computer goes to sleep whenever you shut the screen/lid. Terrible design!

Edge

FWIW it wasn't a mistake, or at least not so far - works like a dream and when I do get a new laptop as a p***s extension :) I'll chuck in my SSD drive. As for SSD's shrinking that's a new one on me so I googled a bit but just came across people who couldn't figure out why some of the space on their drive was getting used up. I'm guessing it was an issue as up until recently people have being buying SSDs with bugger all space on them. Do you mean physically shrink?

chrishirst

Staff member

Not strictly true, they do not 'shrink' as such.

What actually happens is that the memory 'cells' ability to hold an electrical charge is diminshed on each write cycle, so if you are continually writing to 'flash' memory, the cells will fail after a limited number of erase cycles (100,00 - 1,000,000). If only used in 'WORM' mode (Write Once Read Many) the lifetime is indefinite, provided they are 'read' from time to time to keep the electical charge from decaying.