Best CMS program

ffldcountynerd

Hi.
I just joined this forum and hope to be an active participant. I was a news editor for NBC- and FOX-owned news sites based in New York for a few years, but have left to earn a masters in interactive communications.
For the fun of it, I am now on a binge of developing Web sites. I have experience with Vingette and Clickability from my jobs. I have also used Moveable Type in the past, and am very active in WordPress currently.
However, I am hoping to expand and learn one of the open source CMS systems -- specifically Drupal or Joomla. Do you have any suggestions? Or am I totally missing it and should I stick with WP, or maybe try something entirely different.
Any and all feedback is welcome.
I look forward to an enriching conversation with you all.

LouTheDesigner

I don't mean to sound flippant here, but based on the way that you describe your design experience, I would choose Joomla. Drupal might be a bit too much for you.

Joomla can be fantastic once you know how to manipulate its components and plugins.

I should also ask, what hosting service do you plan to use?

By the way, I really do like fox news.

darrenfox

I still prefer WP, Joomla was ok but I am simply against CMS because to me it actually makes things more difficult to do than simply editing the code.

ishie

It depends on what site you're developing. Based on my web marketing experience, Using Joomla 1.5 would be a great option.

orangecopper

Joomla 1.5 is not bad, But from a developers point of view i strongly suggest you to go for Drupal as its more stable and very neatly developed.

Joomla is great, But might confuse or trouble you with the initial complexity.

Regards
Joshu Thomas

scottg

Joomla 1.5 is my #1 choice. Joomla offers better scalability for your site to grow than Wordpress or Drupal. It has a large user community, and tons and tons of well-built extensions for whatever you want your site to do. If you start off your site with a strong, well designed template, the maintenance and upkeep of the site is a piece of cake. My clients are able learn Joomla in no time, and love to use it.... saves me the hastle of updating content on their site.

kbardot

Joomla Rocks!

I am all for Joomla 1.5. I used to build websites with Dreamweaver, and it was a pain. I rebuilt my own website from a Joomla template and it was so easy. I use GoDaddy for my hosting which made it very easy to load Joomla because you can download it as an application (took probably five minutes). It took a week for me to get used to the CMS, and now I love it. The extensions you can download are excellent. It is really quite fun to use. Check out my website if you want to see a finished site built with Joomla.

tevih

I'm personally a huge Drupal fan, due to its flexibility. But it is complex. (I did my site in Drupal)

Last edited by a moderator:

sharpyand

I prefer Joomla and Wordpress. I don't really have experience with PHP and HTML and this one (I think) is the simplest and easiest to customize. Also, the numerous extensions available for these CMS's allows me to have a great looking site without having to worry about coding.