Beginning Flash and Animation

jadiebrown

I am not sure if this is the right forum, apologies if it isn't.

I am really keen to start learning flash and animation. My XHTML, JavaScript and PHP is really starting to get concrete and I'd like to move onto more complex stuff - to really get web pages to "dance". Besides the adobe software, are there any other flash software packages (preferably open source as I'm really not in a position to afford the big guns) or animation packages that anyone has tried. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

jadiebrown

thanks for that, I understand that JavaScript and CSS may be able to do most of what I want... So I will stick there for now.

jadiebrown

I just wanted to add another question to this topic - regarding animation... I want to make a door and I want the door to open. I am very new when it comes to animation and dynamic coding so I am wondering where do I actually start. Do I use a picture of a door or do I have to make the door myself? Do I use DHTML or JavaScript? Am I supposed to be making a .gif? I'm not looking for someone to give me the door as such but rather to just set me on the right path to this kind of thing.