Beginner to Web Design

africanpatsfan

This is my first post here but I've tried to read around the website a little to get familiar. I am totally new to web design but I want to learn to be able to eventually produce websites for myself and others.

First of all, I would like to say that I plan on learning enough programming to be able to start my own small web design business. I am trying to keep realistic goals, so I would appreciate all help and advice.

My first plan is to become as proficient as I can at programming. I have already started to learn some very basic skills in HTML and CSS programming from online tutorials. I plan on getting some books about web design as well. I know I will have to learn some other languages like Java as I become more advanced. Eventually, I will make a website for myself and possibly for my stepmother, who does local shows and performances. Once I am able to start making websites, I want to find local artists, performers or small businesses to create websites for their companies.

Hopefully I will be designing these sites with around 1-5 pages, so nothing that complex. I will be charging them with a fair price, once I determine my costs. However, I am only 16 years old, so will there be legal issues? Will I have to claim taxes and establish a legal contract with clients? I plan on operating a small business, with maybe 5 customers at the maximum once I am able to become proficient enough.

As for my equipment, I plan on purchasing a Macbook ($999), and learning as much programming as I can, and then probably buying Adobe Dreamweaver or a similar program. Once I am actually able to create websites, I will look to a hosting site such as gatorhost.com. Will I be able to design and maintain websites just with this hardware/software? I am trying to keep total costs around $2000 before I actually get any customers.

Well I know this will be difficult to achieve, and there are probably some problems with this plan. However, I am very motivated and interested in learning web design, and operating a small business. Any advice is appreciated.

craftygeek

Saying that you want to learn Java is a bit random at this early stage....I'd suggest that PHP & then Javascript would be more useful to you.

As for books, if you really are serious about this, then I would suggest that you get a copy of 'How to Start a Home-Based Web Design Business' by Jim Smith published by Globe Pequot.

I used one book early on to help me learn CSS - 'Beginning CSS' Published by Apress which is a good book, but you can probably get the same info from online tutorials.

Your favorite & most used website at the moment should be w3schools - it is the best online web programming reference that I have come across & is written in an easy to understand manner (unlike php.net for example).

I also think that the learning materials on Lynda.com are good & I have used some of those myself for learning PHP, MySQL & Javascript.

At the age of 16, you may find it tricky to get people to take you seriously....your website will need to be professional & of a high standard to help build trust.

Good luck!

africanpatsfan

Yeah, aside from HTML and CSS, I've heard of the other languages but am not really sure how they work or their purpose; I'll take it slow and research them once I am ready.

Thank you for the suggestion for these titles. I will try to pick them up.
I have been using w3schools and find it easy to learn, and I will take a look at the other websites.

I look at myself as a responsible and professional individual, hopefully others will get to see that image.:) I know a couple of kids in high school who actually do this so I'll try to learn from them. As far as legal aspects go will I still be responsible for claiming taxes? As I understand, I cannot legally own a business until 18, so would it technically be illegal for me to charge businesses or individuals for designing a website?

Thank you so much for all your help!

prashantsnv

Hi,

First of all hats-off to you for showing your interest in web designing at this age, it is really appreciable.You are on right path, just go ahead.

All those study materials you have discussed are suitable according to your need. Go through these languages and start practicing.

All the best.