Beginner: Some questions for designing my site

Ansett767

Hi there,

I am an aboslute beginner.

I used www.crazydomains.com.au to build my site that I am quite proud of. However when accessing it on an iPhone, it jumbles up completely and I have been told it's because it doesn't support flash.

Crazy Domains tell me their web builders are all flash based and there's nothing I can do.

1. Question 1: Is there anything I can do? change?

If not,

2. Can anyone recommend a similar site easy to use for beginners that will allow me to build it not using flash, and will allow iphone/ipad users to view my website?

3. These sites where you can advertise and have someone build the site for you: my business requires updates to the info on the site on a weekly basis. If I did give it to someone to build, could I as a complete beginner edit the site on a weekly basis (bear in mind I know nothing about coding/writing/anything!)

Many thanks in advance - I really appreciate

Malcolm

CaldwellYSR

Most all online site builders are going to be.... well they're going to be crap. If you want something done right you should either a) learn the code to do it yourself or b) hire a web designer to do it for you.

If you decide to hire someone and you explain to them about the updates, that you'll need to update it often, they will almost definitely recommend a CMS which will allow you to edit the content of the site (aka the actual text) without messing up the design. So that you could update the site as you see fit.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matthew is right, youll get nowhere with free site builders...
Look into wordpress, its the easiest cms to learn...

webagent

I agree with all the other guys, but would like to mention Drupal as an option. It is not the easiest to master, but when you do you will be thankful that you stuck with it.

It offers a great deal of power and there are many templates out there to apply to it. Some focus on mobiles as the separate css sheets handle the mobile content.

If you are serious about editing the website regularly and looking to really grow it try and building it up you should consider it as it has the features that will help you grow. But it has a reasonably steep learning curve.

You may benefit from hiring a developer to do it for you as the long term benefits will outweigh the short term problems. Once the site is up you will be able to edit content yourself.

Ansett767

Thanks guys

What if I was to source a designer on a site like:

http://jobs.designcrowd.com/web-design-jobs

Where you crowd source....

Would I be able to have someone build it in a simple form so I can update my "events" page on a weekly basis with new pics and new text for each event?

And where would I host the site? I already paid crazydomains.com.au to host AND web build (but on flash! grrr) so I guess it could be done there??

Final Qu: If I do use wordpress, can i then change the xxx.wordpress.com to xxx.com i.e. the name of my company.com once its finished being built?

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
use your hosting at crazy domains, like you said you've already paid for it.

you dont have to make it in flash

wordpress.com and wordpress.org are two different beasts.

what you'd install on your server is from wordpress.org

if your host/domain is the same, your domain will be as is, it wont change to wordpress...

Ansett767

Thanks guys

So If I use the site I mentioned, or the elance one....

What skills would I need in order to edit the website once a weeek in order ot change the content and photos of upcoming events?

Do I need to still take a basic programming course, or can it be built in such a way that I can just easily edit the text and photos?

Thanks

Walter Warner

Well if you wanted to edit the website once a week I would suggest you know your way around the CMS Dashboard. A CMS is easy to handle and it is easy to make posts and add new pages. If you really wanted to go above and beyond and create your own custom themes I suggest you learn HTML, CSS, and PHP, which is the server sided language Wordpress uses. Also stay away from Flash, your website will not show up on Ipad's, Iphone's, or I Pod touch.

CaldwellYSR

If whoever you hire uses a CMS (They will 99% of the time with your requirements) you will be able to edit just the text and images.