Beginner Question

GeneralDaimos

Hello

I'm new to web design. I would like to make a new web application. I have 10 years of c++ experience, but never made a web page. I need some kind of primer. What do you recommend me to do to get up to speed as fast as possible. What books should I pick up? What tutorials do you recommend? Any help appreciated.

Modern_Media

Great recommendations by everyone - Just make sure you go the path of using CSS instead of table based design, otherwise, you will find yourself quickly outdated in the next few months or years.

If you need a really quick fix, download Joomla! or try out WordPress or Drupal and check out some templates made by YooTheme or RocketTheme.

Just don't get stuck in the rut of depending on templates all the time...Templates are good for people who want the cheap and fast but most of the serious business you will get is from knowing how to design your own custom web layouts, themes, or templates.

Custom Joomla Website Designs

bcee

FYI...table based design is already outdated.

X2.

Are you looking for pointers on basic HTML? W3C schools is pretty good plus trial an error always works well in my book. Either way good tips are above and I would suggest starting with the basics. Good luck.

High-tech302

If you have a bookstore near you, I find the Head First series of books from O'Reilly Media to be pretty good. They have a Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML book.

smoovo

Since you have programming experience, especially with C++, your target is PHP, and your way is very short. But, first comes first, the basics are HTML and CSS.

The best way and the fastest, is at w3schools.com. You will learn the basics with examples, and you can try it yourself (very easy). They have PHP tutorials too, and you can learn the basic in there, deeply is at php.net. And my advise, no need books..

So the start is HTML, CSS, PHP. Good Luck :).