basics

Chrizzle

Hi,

I made a site but cant figure out whats wrong. Its missing something to make it proffesional looking but what is it?
I think i made some basic mistakes but cant figure out what..

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

http://take3.nu/

notarypublic

The inner-shadow makes your page look like it's sinking into the background, instead of popping out.

A color for each section is a bit busy - consider reducing it to a single color for headings and things of interest, and a consistent background color.

You use rounded corners in some places but not others - Typically, if any corner on a rectangle is rounded, they all should be.

I like the style of the cameras on the side - is there a way you could base your theme around this? For some reason it reminded me of this commercial - I think if instead of a flat, dark grey background, you had some a repeating diagonal texture, if would make your site quite a bit more dynamic.

Chrizzle

thanks a lot!

Wow! thats amazing..

Thanks notarypublic!

Exactly what i needed to hear! Ive asked so many people for their opinion but nobody could really tell me what was wrong!
Im gonna work on this! The theme should be a bit graphical/creative. I think the round edges are only nice on the tabs, im gonna look for a way to adjust the rest.
Do you think that lightening the text background is enough to make this site more alive?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
its the drop shadows. lose them and it'll make a huge difference.

once they are gone you can then reassess.
the main box can have the rounded corners, but each one on the different sections just look out of place,
i dont mind the different colour sections as long as those dropshadows are gone. although the three colours you have chosen are interesting, personally i'd go the rgb route if it was me but...

also footer div does not go the full width.

che09

I guess,others have pointed the problem! I hope,you'll post your finished site! By the way,I really like the color combination!

leroy30

Overuse of simple photoshop effects (drop shadow, inner shadow, blurr)

Logo should be sharper and stand out more. At the moment the logo looks like part of the background image.

The camera is good but the squiggly lines on the left look like a random design to take up space.

Tabs colours just aren't working for you. Especially the red one it's hard to read. Have a look at http://www.softpedia.com/ -they managed to pull it off.

Make the right-hand column wider and the video preview larger and make the left-hand column narrower. This will make it easier to ready line by line and easier to see what the video is about.

Utilise favicon.ico

Remove the section for links unless that is a part of the point of your website.

Left-align the headings and bold them - easier to read.

Your content font is verdana but your heading font is georgia - georgia is more suited to news print in my opinion it doesn't look 'technological' for a website unless your industry can get away with it. Besides you should make all the font accross your website the same.

It's very dark. I would suggest trying a lighter theme.

Just my 2cents
Good luck :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Besides you should make all the font accross your website the same.
this is true for CONTENT however it is quite a common design technique to use serif for headers and san-serif for content and vice versa, the problem being that georgia is usually teamed with arial/helvetica whilst times new roman teams with verdana. when used correctly a serif/san-serif combination can be quite effective.

as far as your column widths are concerned leroy is right.
the right column is way too small. it is wise to learn a grid format to work from, typographers / graphic designers use it all the time, and a lot of web developers do to, even if they dont know it. its all maths. try a 3/4 1/4 split. see how that looks.

and yeah the logo is a bit fuzzy. didnt pick that up the first time around.

Chrizzle

thanks!

Hi guys,

I dont know where to begin to thank you guys.
Ill need some time to change everything, but thanks a lot!
Ill make a repost when im done!

See you soon!

Chrizzle

back!

Hi people!

It took some time but i made progress and your help paid off!
(in my opinion)

Old:
take3.nu

New
take3video.nl

I know that there is still a lot of tuning to do and i cant seem to get the right colors but still..

addyj672

I think this is a well design website with concept of have all things about video and cameras. According to concept take 3 it matches the website design..... cheers...