Background image help

JONNYB

Hi there,

Got a quick questions about a site I'm designing,

I've designed a background image that makes up the header for each page on the site, on the homepage for example the image size is fine and it makes up the whole screen.
However on pages where there is a lot of content it would be necessary to make the image quite big in order to fill the page. It also means that when adding content and making the page bigger I will need to increase the size of the background image.

Using image repeat won't work as it would mean repeating the page header.

I was wondering if it's possible to have a centred image on the page but then upload a separate image that can be repeated in any space not covered by the original.

Hope this makes sense? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that is definitely possible, do you have a url to the page so we can look at it? It would help us provide you with a more accurate answer.

JONNYB

Hey there,

Thanks for getting back, I'm afraid the page is not live as yet, but basically I have an image that is 2000 x 2000 pixels, which has images etc at the top which make up the page.
Like I said this is is fine for most pages but ones that need to scroll down further I'd like to use a section of my main image as a repeat (which I'd expect to upload as a separate image)
Is there a code that allows me to do this?

Apologies, I can send you you the background JPEG if that helps?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
how often do you think folk will be viewing at higher than 2000x2000? not many I'm assuming.

however it sounds to me like you are relying on images rather than css for your design which is bad practice.

JONNYB

hey,

Yes that's correct, I do use the background images as a header for my page.
What i hoping to do though instead is break the images up and align them using css as a background.
So in some bases arrange a repeated pattern around a centered 'header' images and the others break up an image so and align them exactly so they come together to create a single image.
I then use CSS to align text links etc etc around it.

Is this possible?
If you feel there's a better way o achieving the same effect then I would be extremely interested in hearing it.

Thanks very much,
John

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
it would be a lot easier to help if you placed a link online, or at the very least an image...
however
use a background image on the body. strip it back to the basics JUST the background.
use a background image on the wrapper, any elements that need to sit "on top" of the background that need to stay in position.
use a background image on the header, and whats left for the header goes in the header. other than that if you can do it in css. do it in css.

what you've suggested is a bad way to design a page which will then blowout in different browsers and particularly if people zoom the text.