Awkward position and not sure what to do

Kyle

Hi all. Brief intro, this is my first time here and actually the first time I've seen this forum. I'm very amateur in the business as I am currently on my first paid job. I had to look online for a web design forum because I'm in a bit of an awkward position and I need some advice, hopefully you guys can help me.

Like I said, this is my first paying job. My uncle hired my mom who hired me to make a website for his business. My mom is an artist, she knew I computer savvy and could probably figure out how to make a website. She's right, I can make simple websites but I'm more of a coder so it's good she's doing the graphic design portion because I can't.

All that aside my current problem doesn't have anything to do with coding or artwork but with my uncle, who hired us. My mother is under the impression, though it's still unclear, that my uncle expects us to research his company and fill the website with content ourselves. My mom is rather passive and willing to give it a try but to me that sounds not only not in the prevue of a freelance web designer but amateurish on his part, and ours as well, if we go with it. I mean, I'd be willing to make a go of it if we were just talking about a couple pages with a brief outline of his company but he's asking us to do 36 pages with topics ranging from bios of his staff and clients to detailed descriptions of his services like "Continuing Disclosure" and "Special Assessment Administration".

Am I right in my thought here? Is he asking us to do something that is fundamentally his job? Or at the very least the job of someone who actually works for him and knows the company? Like his secretary?

I mean, 36 pages is easy if I have the information...HTML, CSS and JS are simple...I just don't think we'd be able to properly describe his business to anyone, let alone all of his potential clients.

abadsvt

I agree with you. I wouldn't want someone to fill all the content about my business especially if they don't have first hand experience with what i do and how we do it. Your in a tough situation because he is family. What i have done in the past for a website for a close friend who did something similiar is i mocked up generic information and then once i got all that done i told him to review the site and edit all the sections with content and email me what he wanted in those sections. If he didn't want to edit those sections with new content i considered my part done and would have collected my money and been done with it. Hope that helped and good luck.

Thanks
Josh

Hi all. Brief intro, this is my first time here and actually the first time I've seen this forum. I'm very amateur in the business as I am currently on my first paid job. I had to look online for a web design forum because I'm in a bit of an awkward position and I need some advice, hopefully you guys can help me.

Like I said, this is my first paying job. My uncle hired my mom who hired me to make a website for his business. My mom is an artist, she knew I computer savvy and could probably figure out how to make a website. She's right, I can make simple websites but I'm more of a coder so it's good she's doing the graphic design portion because I can't.

All that aside my current problem doesn't have anything to do with coding or artwork but with my uncle, who hired us. My mother is under the impression, though it's still unclear, that my uncle expects us to research his company and fill the website with content ourselves. My mom is rather passive and willing to give it a try but to me that sounds not only not in the prevue of a freelance web designer but amateurish on his part, and ours as well, if we go with it. I mean, I'd be willing to make a go of it if we were just talking about a couple pages with a brief outline of his company but he's asking us to do 36 pages with topics ranging from bios of his staff and clients to detailed descriptions of his services like "Continuing Disclosure" and "Special Assessment Administration".

Am I right in my thought here? Is he asking us to do something that is fundamentally his job? Or at the very least the job of someone who actually works for him and knows the company? Like his secretary?

I mean, 36 pages is easy if I have the information...HTML, CSS and JS are simple...I just don't think we'd be able to properly describe his business to anyone, let alone all of his potential clients.