Automatic Scrolling text in Flash

hus2020

Hi,

I have managed to design a scrolling text effect using html. Please view the sample below :
Code:
hus2020.site40.net

The problem with this is that when it is loading all the text shows at once and that looks very ugly. So, I want to make this in flash so that I can show a preloader when it is loading. So how can I do this in flash? Please provide me with a link to a step by step tutorial if possible. Thank you.

adx

Hm, never seen <marquee> used on a website before!
The desired effect shouldn't be too difficult to mimic, do you have a flash program?

Geodun1

I'm speaking with only intermediate flash knowledge, so forgive any technical errors.

Your best bet is to make a background layer, then a layer with a box cut out in the middle. Between these two layers, place your text (not above the layer with the box cut out!) and then animate the text to move from bottom to top.

If you need help learning to animate in flash, view the following:

http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/adobe_flash/animation_and_drawing/

You might have to look around and experiment a bit, but those tutorials should give you a good grasp of using flash. Just be inventive :)

Geodun1

I'm speaking with only intermediate flash knowledge, so forgive any technical errors.

Your best bet is to make a background layer, then a layer with a box cut out in the middle. Between these two layers, place your text (not above the layer with the box cut out!) and then animate the text to move from bottom to top.

If you need help learning to animate in flash, view the following:

http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/adobe_flash/animation_and_drawing/

You might have to look around and experiment a bit, but those tutorials should give you a good grasp of using flash. Just be inventive :)

adamblan

Can't post specific code since I don't know if you're going to write this in AS1, 2, or 3, but you could easily duplicate this effect without scripting; just create a masked text layer on frame 1, Y pos at the bottom of the stage. On another frame, say 36 for example, place your text at the top of the stage and set the layer to motion tween

As far as using a preloader for this, it's a bad idea since the text is only a couple kb and won't take any time to load (unless you're on a 2k/s dial-up isp)