Anyone Just have One of Those Clients?

Wingnut

You know what im talking about. I did a website for a pool company recently. First day of theappointment the guy said he wanted a website that "would knock someones socks off" So the website had a 3d flash intro that ranked up there with the top ones i had ever done even integrating the a maya 3d version of one of his pools. the website was one of my proudest works only to have the guy say it was too much! Too much money and to much richness.. HUH? what thats what he wanted..

So after two more appointments the website was scaled back to be the worst one that i had ever done. my god has anyone ever had those clients? the guy has about 600 page views a day and makes a fortune through it yet has the website looking horrible.

its at www.cookiecutterpools.com

Artoonie

Oh...wow....:/ sucks man

try to find another pool guy and use your old pool layout for that client.

and where do you find clients? I wanna make websites for people but I don't know where to look.

why2k

Dude thats a shame!!!

I had a similar client. They were happy with the design then had a problem. So instead of telling me they just didn't pay the hosting fee's. I phoned them up to find out why they didn't pay up and they said " there is a problem with the site and we will not pay you untill its fixed". So 20 mins later problem solved!! Then they say "We will pay you when we do our bills next month!"

SO I switched thier site off!! BOWWWAAAAA!!

They came back three months later paid all the back fees and said thatnk you for your help! LOL

Why2k:cool:

Wingnut

clients are funny. its always better when they are people your not good friends with. I have had some real hard ones like that lately that just are not computer literate. It just makes stuff so had when they dont understand the little things.

I live in the usa in california actually. its pretty easy to find clients here. i have alot of work because i worked for a large firm doing smaller stuff and met alot of people, plus i send out mailers to cliche websites that look bad. i would reccomend doing that. decide if you want to do like a real estate website and search them out. make a list of like 100 that suck and email them links to templates you have done, portfolios, prices, let them know what you can do for them thats better. thats the easiest way. most people will just want you to give them a new website and they are ho leads because in alot of cases they pay a ton already. So its only reasonible they would pay you for a better website.

why2k

I have a friend client that has not paid hosting fees for about three months. But I can't really be nasty to a friend. So now its emails every week begging for the cash..... etc etc. At least its not costing me anything to host thier site. I have paid the sever in full for 2 years. So who cares!!??

I like the idea of email marketing. But here in South Africa its a differant story. Here people are so wierd. they send snotty emails back to you saying that they don't want your spam mail etc..

So I'm trying the old fassioned way of marketing.. PLEASE I BEGG YOU LET ME BUILD YOUR SITE!!!!! Ill pay you to let me do it!!!!

LOL LOL

Why2k:cool:

Wingnut

thats pretty funny. i hear you there. but what you should do is actaully send out real mail. with about 5 pages. an intro letter three printouts of portfolio pages and then last either a response letter or a sheet showing how to contact you. it works great. I keep myself very very busy in that way. i target smaller busiesses here that are more easy styled websites. little php just html, flash intros, nav bars and banners, and forms. Occasionally i have e-commerce but mainly focusing on websites for marketing purposes. works wonderful. im 27 and have a $800,000 house on a golf course here in cali and my friends think i dont work. thing is i do it all at night. i work mostly for my clients from 11pm to 4am while my wfies asleep

Winterchase

If you had one to pick....

... what one program would you pick to work on photographs and occassionally maybe a banner; to do the artsy-craftsy stuff.

I use Photoshop Elements in my work as a reporter and I have an unopened older copy of PhotoShop, which I could upgrade, if that's the pick - BUT - this is going to be a hobby and I don't want to have to learn program after program just to find my mistakes.