Any Suggestions?!

inmyhood

Hello community,

I've run into a bit of a dilemma with my website. I hired a web designer 3 months ago to create a website for my company and it has been the most frustrating experience ever. He has missed every deadline, doesn't provide updates, and acts like he's doing me a favour.

The site was supposed to be completed by the end of November and it kept getting pushed back because quite frankly, he's lazy and the only time he got any work done was when I literally had to go over to his house and tell him exactly what to do, and micromanage every aspect.

He's around 60% done the site, but the deal was I gave him until Dec. 31st or else. So now I'm considering moving to another web designer to finish the site.

My question is if I move to another web designer, will they be able to continue where he left off, by using the files that are uploaded to my server already? Or will they require files that are on the old web designers cpu?

I would say 95% of the site is flash and video and I just want to make sure that they can use what's already uploaded on the server, or I might just have to grin and bare it with this old web designer.

Andy help would be great,

Thanks

inmyhood

Well, I see the flash file on the server.

What do you mean by how well the project has been documented?

ahk2chan

My understanding is that the SWF file is not the source code. So you need the FLA file for development.

If you have project documentation, it will be easier for another person to pick up the development task.

horrorshow75

My understanding is that the SWF file is not the source code. So you need the FLA file for development.

If you have project documentation, it will be easier for another person to pick up the development task.

I second this!

You will need the .fla file. Another reason why doing a site entirely in flash is a bad idea. If it were html and css anyone could pull that off your server and continue on or rework as necessary very easily.

Now you're at the mercy of a guy you're about to fire. I would make up some excuse as to why you need the .fla file before you fire him.

Good luck.

LouTheDesigner

Flash can be VERY time consuming. Are you sure that he is lazy? He may just be realizing how much time this may take. Yes, another designer would be able to pick up where he left off, but you would actually need him to sort of "brief" the new designer on how he has organized things (symbols, animations, scripting) within his Flash file. You would need him to fork over all of his files.

My advice would just be to bare with this guy. Switching to a new designer make take longer than it would to just let this guy finish up. Things might get ugly if he sends you an invoice.

Louis

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
First off, a site entirely made of flash is not the best idea, especially for SEO reasons. Second, I can understand your problem/frustration with the designer not holding to deadlines.

As far as the files that are stored on the server and if a second designer could pick up whre the first left off, I would say yes that is possible. The second designer will need some to time to familiarize him/herself with the structure (assuming the first designer will not help). If the original FLA file is on the server that's a BIG bonus, because it's the original source file. If there is only an SWF file (the complied/compressed version) you are NOT at a total loss.

There are programs available that will take an SWF and decomplie it (reverse it back to a FLA). The downside to this is that all the unique layers, symbols, and instance names will not transfer and will be named something like "symbol1, symbol2, layer1, layer2, etc." However, the decompiler will give you a source file to then edit for further changes.
One of the best SWF decompilers I have seen is from SoThink. The SoThink SWF Decompiler even has a SWF Catcher that integrates into your web browser allowing you to grab an SWF you see on a web site. It's a great tool and can be a lifesaver. This might help you will you flash design[er] dilema.

Last edited:

thegotoguy

PixelPusher is right. You should avoid a completely flash site unless you have a huge advertising budget and plenty of bandwidth. I suggest looking to see if you have the fla file associated with your swf files so that you can have the next designer pick up where the other guy left off. Good luck to you!

adamblan

What do you mean by how well the project has been documented?

Project documentation as I mentioned it refers to notation (aka code comments) within the source .fla and/or .as documents. It tells us important stuff like why things are the way they are... Though in the interest of expediency many developers leave this step out.

spire-web

I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with your web designer. This story is tragically common. It's the reason reputable web designers like the folks on this forum have to get over the bad rep created by so many bad apples.

I knew you were in trouble when you said you "went to his HOUSE" to tell him to hurry up. Not that working from home is inherently bad, but it sounds like this guy isn't running a very tight ship.

Any web designer that doesn't meet their deadlines and acts like they are doing you a favor is a problem... the complexity of Flash is not an excuse for missing deadlines.

Flash is time-consuming, and I agree with Pixel Pusher that it's also a poor strategy. While you might be able to pick up where he left off with the flash files, I recommend you hire a professional and start from scratch with a search-engine-optimized site that isn't driven by Flash.

Most importantly... don't burn bridges with your current designer until you have solidified a plan B.

Best of luck!