Animated Virtual Room

pinkynrg

Hi guys. I'm trying to create a virtual room website where you can move around click on objects and stuff like that. Clicking the above hyperlink will link you to the webpage obtained so far.

Basically I'm using css3 transitions, a bit of Jquery and that is pretty much it. Everything works fine on s computer with certain capabilities, but when i try to look at my page from a 2-3 year old computer (or older), everything becomes slower and not plansent so visit.

What I did so far is having a div A that has the size on the screen that wraps up a div B that has the size of the entire room image (something like 2753x1800, way much bigger than the average screen). Initially the div B (inside the div A) is placed in a manner that you can see just the center of the room image. if I want to go up, down, left or right, I need just to change the margin of the of the div B (respect the div A), and throughout a css3 transition, the trick is done.

Does any of you guys have a better idea of how to implement the same effect I created so far but in a matter most of the people can see it nicely? Flash is not what I'm looking for. The goal was using CSS as much as possible and a bit of js if needed.

I would appreciate even more if you visitors can give me a feedback of the webpage as it is right now. How do you see it on you computer? What browser you are using?

Thank you so much guys!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
css3 transitions only work in the newest browsers.

so old computers running older versions of browsers (and any on IE) wont work.

best to make a fallback for older browsers if that really matters to you, but personally I wouldn't care about old IE users.

and I wouldnt use css3 transitions on a clients site unless it worked perfectly without it. that sort of stuff should be used in fun development stuff until its further supported.