Amature-Please rip me apart!

newherehello

Hi there,

Very *very* new to this. Trying my hand at web design. I used DW to redesign a site.

Here is the original csisecurityusa.com
Here is my work in progress csi.agilityhoster.com

adx

Well you need to use more text instead of images, and if you really need to use images you should save them as .gif's. The navigational .png images are about 35-40 KB's each, which is why they take time to load. So that would be a good start.

What's with all the JavaScript and all the layer things? I can't see any reason for any of it. Could you explain the concept a little further? :)

newherehello

LOL Ok, the layer thing. I'm new to DW and after reading and watching tutorials I *learned* that I needed to use layers to control my texts/imgs. However, I've now had a few people mention that I should not have so many layers. So, I've been trying to learn a better approach. That's one reason I wanted people to be critical of everything. So I can learn. I just don't know how to insert images and text in the pricise place I'd like it without first inserting a layer, then the text/img, in Dreamweaver.

Now the, too many images/not enough text, issue. I had to use thier original text and I added the pictures. I thought I didn't have enough. So I have too many?

Also, I'm having the "my website looks good only on my monitor" problem. It looks good/centered on my screen but on others it is all to the left with a big black space to the right with tiny text. I have been searching for how to fix that and even though I've read so much on that exact topic I can't seem to find a solution.

What should my nav items be? I too notice the long load time.

Thanks so much for all the help!