Altered Media Layout Concept

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by zkiller, Apr 16, 2007.

to remove all ads.
  1. zkiller

zkiller Super Moderator Staff Member

I have been tinkering around with ideas as to what i want my business site to look like and this is the first concept.

i am not at all happy with it. for one, it's too pale and i don't like the cartoon-ish icons mixed with the more clean cut logo. the original idea behind the icons was that i didn't want to take myself to seriously, but i feel it backfired on me.

i wasn't sure whether i wanted to post this or not, but i figured it never hurt to hear the ideas and criticism of others.

anyways... here it is.

Attached Files:

2. zkiller

here is some cheese to go with the above shown wine...

Attached Files:

3. AainaA

AainaA New Member

wow. that's nice

4. ian

ian Administrator Staff Member

Looks great so far, only thing I can comment on is make sure, it has a good balance of text and graphics so that the page loads fast, and is search friendly.

5. DLPerry

DLPerry New Member

I like it, but the navigation icons do look a bit weak in relation to the rest of the design. I'm not sure how to define it exactly - they look a bit '3rd party stock' perhaps....like an afterthought... I dunno...talkin outta my head and not being much help.

It's a draft, so it's not important yet, but be sure and quadruple check spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. To me anyway, the term 'internet presents' does not read right - should it be 'internet presence'?

But IMHO, the layout, whitespace, colors, etc. are nice - with cheese please. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  6. zkiller

thanks for the kind comments. i am surprised that everyone likes it. i think it has potential, but i am not entirely sure how to bring it out yet. in it's current state, i am not really feeling it. but, as dlperry pointed out, it's just a draft, so no worries.

@ dlperry - i know i am bad when it comes to grammar and punctuation most of the time. not something i really ever cared to spend to much time with. but yes, i will be triple checking everything before the site goes live, as i do value the image the site portrays very highly.

as mentioned above, i agree that the icons are very much out of place. i am not sure how i am gonna fix that yet though. any ideas?

PS: i need a vacation!!!

7. tanjh

tanjh New Member

This is one of the coolest designs I have seen in a while. Keep it up!

8. zkiller

i think i am getting warmer, or not?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  9. zkiller

cleaned the edges on the large box next to the nav box and lightened up the background/gradient a bit.

Attached Files:

10. DLPerry

DLPerry New Member

Very nice. IMHO the navigation looks much more in sync with the overall design now :)

I'm on the fence about the gradient change. Purely from a visual standpoint - when I look at the 2 versions individually - the darker gradient seems to have more 'punch', or is more attention getting - to me anyway. It depends on what effect you want I guess - to make that area more or less prominent during the first 5-10 seconds of viewing.
    I'm wondering what the effect would be if you matched the gradient to the gray color (#6E6E6E) that is left and right of the main content

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  11. zkiller

honestly, i feel the darker gradient is to obtrusive. i don't want the graphical element of the site to the users main focus and i think the lighter gradient is easier on the eyes.

btw, here is a somewhat functional draft of the last concept...

http://www.alteredmedia.net/index.asp

it is my first go at using css for layout/positioning purposes, but i still have a table in their as well. :p it's been kind of pain getting used to it, but i think i like it.

the only minor detail that is bugging me is the gray 1 pixel line on the right side that doesn't want to go away. lol

let me know what you think so far, good or bad. i am pretty happy with it overall. :)

12. AainaA

AainaA New Member

yeah the nav thingy is ..much better now, rollovers etc? or just plain?

13. ian

ian Administrator Staff Member

I like it, apart from the lack of text.
    Yeah I know what you mean by the grey one pixel line on the right hand side.

14. zkiller

rollovers... check the link in my last post. ;)

the text won't be images in the final release. it still has a long ways to go.

what was the load time like?

15. jmad

jmad New Member

i like it the layout is nice. i agree with u on the lighter gradient. the load time wasnt bad but i have high speed. i too i am learning css i am going to have a friend of mine help me out with it (he is pretty good at it.) cause i keep having issues.

16. zkiller

i am on cable myself, so it is hard to judge what the load time is like for those less fortunate.

i am not really new to css. i have been using it for a few years now in fact. just never for positioning and so forth. i figured i would give it a try to help clean up my code a bit. i have a few projects down the road that will greatly benefit from it. this is kind of like my trial and error phase. i am leaning towards a mixture of dhtml and asp.net for future projects. the cleaner the code... the easier it will be to add features and eliminate potential security threats.

update:
    - fixed some css issues. the site should center on the screen in IE now as well.
    - added second background layer.
    - got rid of the 1 pixel gray line on the right side.

progress is being made slowly - only have a few minutes a day to work on it right now. i think next will need to be some form of footer.

lol... i just noticed portfolio is misspelled.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  17. zkiller

today was the first time i actually got the chance to sit due anything in a good while.

instead of continuing work on the last concept, i decided to play around with some other ideas. i am not sure if i really thought this one threw... lol

it's all good though, no hurry. ;)

Attached Files:

18. boyleswebdesign

boyleswebdesign New Member

I Like the new design the navigation goes in a lot better with the original feel now, good job.

19. zkiller

thanks. :)

did you mean the last design concept on page 1 of this thread or the one on this page?

20. boyleswebdesign

boyleswebdesign New Member

last one on page 1 sry didnt see the second page