Alt tag does not appear when using Mozilla Firefox

pingeyeg

The alt tag only shows info in IE. The alt tag really isn't meant to show information to the browser, rather give information to the search engine. If you are wanting information to appear in Firefox, Safari, etc. then you need to use the title tag.

webamateur

Thanks for this info. I had always thought that Alt tag info was to help visitors with visual impairments and just put it in for good practice. I'll look at the Title tag instead.
Webamateur.

adamblan

The alt tag only shows info in IE. The alt tag really isn't meant to show information to the browser, rather give information to the search engine. If you are wanting information to appear in Firefox, Safari, etc. then you need to use the title tag.

No- not quite.
The title & alt attributes are for people using alternative browsers like JAWS, or will be displayed in place of the image if the img doesn't load completely.

As far as SEO, the alt tag isn't really weighted anymore - used to be factored, but too many people were keyword stuffing - now alt is all about accessibility.

Last edited:

cmjvulavala

Have everyone forgotten the big thing about the alt tag?
if for some reason the image doesnt show up or is stopped from loading then your browser displays a box with the alt tag inside instead :)

SeanJohn

Alt tag

The most important usage of alt tags is making your website accessible for visually impaired people.

constanthosting

yeah, I answered this in the other thread this person had asked this in, and then thought I was replying to that other thread again, that's why my reply up there seems so out of place, :p