All Of My Competition is using Link Exchanges

greenlightning

I checked the backlinks for all of my competing sites that are ranking on the 1st page of google. I was surprised to see that basically ALL of their backlinks were due to link exchanges. This doesn't seem fair at all. I've built all my backlinks through more legitimate methods like article syndication, press release, and social bookmarking. Should I just stoop to their level and just start link exchanging as well?

rahmanpaidar

I recommend three way link exchange. It is harder to be detected. Google has clearly implied participating in link exchanging as one of the tricks to gaming their algorithms and they were aware of this schema. I think the paper was one of their webmaster tools help pages.

greatar4

Link exchange is not something that is illegitimate. If you read the Google webmaster guidelines, Google is not completely against link exchange. Google is against excessive links exchange that are intended to manipulate their algorithms. If you are interested in participating in link exchange you should try to find sites that are related to yours that also have high-page rank.

1seo

Link Exchanging is good business practices and tactics. All it takes is more effort in networking with the right people. Thats the nature of all business deals.

chrishirst

Staff member
Nope. Link exchanging for search engines or 'rankings' is 'old school'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with "swapping links" between RELATED documents, it IS how the 'web' is built.

You do it ALL the time on your own websites with no thought of the fact that you are actually swapping links.

What you need to understand first is that search engines do NOT crawl or list 'sites', they list 'pages' or more correctly they list URLs where documents can be found, because of that simple fact, when you link between two related or unrelated pages on your site, it is by definition a 'link exchange'.

http://webmaster-talk.eu/articles/7-website-marketing-and-search/25-reciprocal-linking-good-or-bad

http://webmaster-talk.eu/articles/7-website-marketing-and-search/27-cross-linking-yes-or-no

pamelasurgo

Link exchanging can be a good thing, as long as the websites you link to are in some way related to your own. Also, make sure you are not linking to any spam websites, as this will discredit your own.