Advice on The Going Rate

Star

How to delete threads

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Not sure how to delete post otherwise I would have :)

Last edited:

Janja

Sounds like a "never-ending" job. I would be careful about a package deal. Depending on where you are located and how bad you need the work, I wouldn't go under $2500 for the inital website set up with an hourly rate after that for maintenance. Make sure you have a contract or similar to cleary state what is included, otherwise you will be doing free changes for ever. Chances are they don't have large budget for that, so you will have to decide how much you want to work for and at what point would you say no.

I would recommend them using wordpress, so they can actually move the site if they ever needed it. Wordpress resizes the images automatically too....

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
As this looks like a project that will continue for a while, id suggest an upfront payment for the build, then get them on a monthly retainer for the updates/service/training/etc.

Sure some months you will do more work than your getting paid, but there will be other months where its the opposite. That way its a guaranteed monthly income, no matter what.

Make sure tho you write up a contract stating what is covered in the retainer, anything out of that is charged at your hourly rate

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
@janja, i know you are an advocate for wordpress, but your reasoning you put forth hold true for ANY cms. Wordpress is easy for the client to use, thats why it should be suggested...

Janja

Absolutely, you are right. That and that wordpress is more seo friendly then some curious free sitebuilders from some host.

While I still prefer handcoding html for sites, when I hear page counts that are exceed 12 pages or more, include video galleries, forms, e-commerce etc I just prefer the one-click plugin installs....but as you said Drupal and Joomla or similar would probably do just as well.