Advice on Flash technique

sara.ortiz

I have a client who would like their navigation to be similar to the Flash-based navigation on this website: http://www.ata-e.com/. I am new to Flash and would like some direction on how to proceed. I do know the basics of Flash.

I would also like to know if there are any other techniques or ways I could create a similar navigation for my client. I would also be interested in any modules or websites I could use that would generate the needed code.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Janja

Hi Sara, I'm assuming you mean the flash below the navigation. Check out activeden.net and search for accordion slider. You can buy the module there for cheap and just change the images/links in the xml file. If you know a little bit of html, you will be able to do that.

sara.ortiz

Thanks for your help

Thank! I really appreciate the advice. I do know html and css but I'm not familiar with jQuery.

Wow! ActiveDen.net is amazing. Thank you so much. What are the drawbacks of buying the accordian slider on ActiveDen.net instead of writing the code yourself? Or are there any? Is there anything I need to be aware of if I buy code like this?

Janja

Make sure the version is compatible with your flash version you are using, if you are planning to modify the flash file. (Some files will have color options in the xml file but some, you would have to go into the flash library and change it there).
I have bought files from them for complicated galleries. Can't beat the price for a nice gallery for $25. But you have to make sure you don't under-estimate your time modifying it for clients. Since you didn't code it, it might take a bit longer to understand where they put stuff.

Mug

Don't use Flash for that sort of thing. If you Google JQuery accordion there will be quite a few tutorials or files to show you what to do. Using HTML, CSS and JQuery will mean that search engines will be able to pick up the text/keywords.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't use Flash for that sort of thing. If you Google JQuery accordion there will be quite a few tutorials or files to show you what to do. Using HTML, CSS and JQuery will mean that search engines will be able to pick up the text/keywords.
not only that, but its free. easy to modify/edit.