Advice on Content Management for Blog/Website

Azrael1987

Hello everybody!

I am new at WebDesignForum and joined because I have been increasingly involved with web design but still need to learn a lot more.

I am currently working on a website that aims to provide sport stories and news with articles, rankings, player profiles, etc. The site will therefore contain a lot of content but should also be visually appealing. The site will be somewhat of a blog in terms of interlinking articles, having an archive, allowing the opportunity to comment, but also a more in-depth website with content like rankings or submission forms.

I am currently writing the whole thing in HTML as I only recently learned more about webdesign and started with HTML. It is shaping up very nicely but I am concerned that the management of the content will become difficult over time. Currently, I would have to not only create a new site (from template) for a new article but also manually add the article to a column of recent articles (and delete the oldest article in said column), add the article to the archive, and possibly link the article on the front page. If I'd change the rankings, I'd have to change the code specifically as well. I don't mind the process, but I think it could be a lot easier.

Ideally, I would be able to add content through a management system which allows me to check where I want to place the content (e.g. front page and articles page) and allows me to modify the ranking by simple drag and drop. The would be the ideal, but probably very hard to realize.

What I came here for is advice on whether or not, and if so how, such a venture would be possible and what programs and programming languages I would have to familiarize myself with. I am using Adobe Dreamweaver and I think PHP would probably allow me to do what I want to do!? Maybe!? Once I know how to start, I can begin reading up on everything to realize my project. Btw, ideally, I could just "copy" the design I already set up instead of rebuilding everything :)

Thank you very much in advance for all your help!

P.S.: The website is not online yet as I am still building it, but sites like all the SB Nation Blogs (e.g. http://www.stampedeblue.com) for the blog content and the NFL website (e.g. http://fantasy.nfl.com/research/scoringleaders) for the rankings may give you an idea of what I am talking about.

lexy

I would use Wordpress. But you might want to install several cms/blog softwares and play around with them. You'll soon see which one you like best.