Advice on choosing website builder

wachtn

Hi, Thank you for your help.

I use Dream Weaver for all of my website building. Still, I need a free, easy to use, website builder to suggest to my clients that don't wish to shell out the $100s for DW. I have looked online, and tryed BlueVoda's website builder. It was great until I tryed to upload. Most of the other free website builder were web based.

Can you please suggest a few free product for me?

Thank you again.

If you could just suggest a few key words and/or phrases that I could try googleing for. That would also be a great help. So far I am aint had much luck.

Last edited:

wachtn

I know I want something that can be used offline.

Does that sound as oxymoron as I think? If the web pages are saved on my clients machine I would like them to be able to edit them without being connected to the net.

sclick

Why won't Expression Web 2.0 do the job for you. I build my sites, off line, and publish, that is, up load changes as necessary. Perhaps I missed something in your question. Good luck.

wachtn

Sclick, the main requirement is price. Free is what I am looking for. If not free then under 50$ usd would be nice. 2nd, I want something offline.

Thank you for the Suggestion but Expression Web 2 is 300$ usd. I am sure it is a great product but for that price I would have to suggest my clients purchase Dream Weaver. If for no reason other than I already know it and have many tutorials that can help them.

emopoops

Banned
website builders are bs. nothing gets dont with them. u have to actually fix every thing they do wrong manually which is hard because well u didnt put it there manually. its an unnedded anoyance when building a site. i wouldnt recommend using any.

arminium

Just google it

there is tons

just google "open source html editor" and check em out

apatana is great if, but you need to mod it up to mak ethe colors work like dreamweaver, and it has inbuilt php engine so it renders in the design view tab

coffeecup is ok, but you have to purchase to get wysiwyg function, but for proffesional web developers who uses design view anyway

seriously there is stack and stakc and static and stack of em

darrenfox

You are creating way more work for yourself if you want your clients to have access to all of the code. Usually they do not know HTML and things will break. If this is what you recommended to them, they may assume that you will fix it for free or they will get mad when they have to pay more money to fix it. You should really consider CMS on only certain pages that require updating from the clients end.

LouTheDesigner

You are creating way more work for yourself if you want your clients to have access to all of the code. Usually they do not know HTML and things will break. If this is what you recommended to them, they may assume that you will fix it for free or they will get mad when they have to pay more money to fix it. You should really consider CMS on only certain pages that require updating from the clients end.

Listen to this post. I second using a CMS. It's free, and powerful. Your web hosting service might even have a one-click installation.

wachtn

heasy
Thank you, your site looks like a great source for useful software. I will bookmark it and check it out in depth very soon.

darrenfox
You are COMPLETELY! correct. When I posted that question I didn't know any better way of doing it. Thankfully my client wanted a showcase and eventually an online store. After I learned a little more about Zen-Cart with all its functionality and ease of use, I chose to use it for his entire site, not just the showcase/store.

It was amazingly simple. I in about 20hrs of productive time I went from a slight idea of what Zen-Cart was to having the basic design for his site up and ready for content.

Any more suggestions for free website design software that you can used offline would still be a great help.

Thank you, to everybody that has posted, except dmaxweb.