Advice needed pls!!

Gndoofi

Hello all,

I have just managed to get hold of a fairly decent PC, and would like to start designing websites etc. Would someone mind advising me as to the best book to buy for those wishing to start out in web development? I would like to get down to the code level, so if you know of any "Programming for Idiots" type books, which you mind letting me know which is the best one? My experience is very limited, so any advice would be greatfully received!! Thanks

Denis

Arkette

I think you could do a lot worse than visit this site and follow some of the begginers tutorials in HTML and CSS. There are some very badly written books out there and they can cost you a lot of money to find out that there a load of rubbish.

Gndoofi

hello again! I had a good look around the site, but found no evidence of an online Tutorial - not sure if I'm being an idiot?

stuluk28

hey, to begin with, HTML would be your basics. With that you can create a fully functioning website. Then whilst practising that, start learning CSS.

Get yourself a cheap webhosting package (personal i got the basic plan from www.web-hosting.uk.com) that way you can upload the stuff your creating and let other people have a look, as well as learning about site planning, folders & links etc.

Also go for something chep but that has some kind of server side scripting language available. ASP, ASP.net, PHP, cgi-bin, Pearl, that way at a later date you can start adding some extra features and practising with coding.

There's always flash and its actionscripting too.

Obviously this is just an idea, Just what I did when i started learning, although I skipped alot of the server side script and concentrated more on flash instead. But thats just me!

Google, is the best place to find tutorials, search for any of the abve keywords and your bound to have hundreds if not thousands of hits.

Also www.tutorialized.com seems to be quite good!

good luck!

Gndoofi

Now that is the kind of answer I needed. Thanks for that. I'll get cracking with HTML then as soon as possible.. I might get back to you in a couple of months when the site is up and running. Just need to think of the content now! Thanks again, Denis