Advice for a non-web developer

mercedes1

Hello Forum - I'm a 40 year old entrepreneur with many talents, none of which happen to be web design/programming :). I have a web-based business idea that I hope someone on this board might help me with ... i.e. just point me in the right direction.

My idea involves managing certain recreational assets (I'd rather not say which ones) for owners/managers using a web-based platform. The site would need to perform multiple functions (like public & private access, storing scanned documents & images, scheduling maintenance, ordering parts, posting sales listings, event management, merchandise store, virtual tours, private inbox/messaging, etc etc.).

My research has uncovered various affordable "off the shelf" softwares that can perform these tasks individually, but none that can perform them all. I don't have the capital to design software from scratch (I assume this would cost tens of thousands of dollars), so I'm hoping there may be a way to create like an interface/dashboard design that would pull together multiple ASP's in an attractive, user-friendly fashion. I can probably get permission to frame the individual softwares within my site, though a few may require a new window to open (which is ok). Am I crazy to think something like this could be created without spending thousands of dollars? If no, where do I start?

Alexishost

the solution for your current situation is

finding good cms solution to help you out.

With cms solution you can manage site easier.

shareAll

You need to find a web designer/developer that you trust and has good references. The site you describe is doable but you'll want to allow an appropriate amount of time for the development stage.

No doubt you will need a CMS, but there are many and the one you select will depend on the site specifications/functionality. If the list you provide about is indeed all that you need, possibly a Cake/Joomla combination would work, but you will need programming knowledge.

Be careful selecting your web designer/developer. And remember, you get what you pay for.

If you don't have a lot of capital, you may consider partnering with someone with the technical abilities to create the site.