Adobe Workflow Question.

luccombelad

Hi

I used to design websites in the 90's when images were just being introduced. The software I used was:

Microsoft Frontpage®
Adobe Illustrator®
Adobe Photoshop®
Adobe Go Live®

Well I stopped designing many years ago, but I have recently regained the desire. So I don't come to the web design game completely ignorant but, what I don't understand is the typical workflow using Adobe products. Assuming I have the whole Web Design Suite from Adobe.

What is the typical workflow for a normal site (i.e. no flash etc).

I am now getting to grips with Dreamweaver®, not a problem. It's how I go from wireframing/comping a site to an end product - is there any recommended way. Or, maybe people can just tell me their methods. I'm guessing there is no 'set' way, but surely Adobe® has an recommended method. But, despite many hours of searching on the Internet - this subject is very elusive.

Please help!
Laurence (Luccombelad)
Cowes,
Isle of Wight
England

CaldwellYSR

The typical adobe workflow is to stop where you are.... turn around.... and walk away from Adobe ;)

In a more serious note:

My typical workflow is to come up with the design (either on paper or with photoshop) and then go hand-code all of the html/css. Dreamweaver isn't worth the money and should only be used in code-view NOT design view ever. The only time you should use images is for background-tiles, sprites for buttons, and actual images on the site.

luccombelad

The typical adobe workflow is to stop where you are.... turn around.... and walk away from Adobe ;)

In a more serious note:

My typical workflow is to come up with the design (either on paper or with photoshop) and then go hand-code all of the html/css. Dreamweaver isn't worth the money and should only be used in code-view NOT design view ever. The only time you should use images is for background-tiles, sprites for buttons, and actual images on the site.

Having in the past done a lot hand coding of HTML & Javascript. I have to agree about Dreamweaver®. It makes life more complicated. I think it's been designed for those men that have that little tuft of hair just below their bottom lip that passes for a beard in some circles...errrr.... I think these 'men' are called Graphic Designers.

"The only time you should you images etc" I'm slightly confused by this. Are you saying avoid having images on your site, and try and get CSS to do the work?

Thanks

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
adobe bashers! gotta love them!
in the next line what does he say he uses ...photoshop... pot calling the kettle black?

golive! god havent seen that abomination for quite a long time.

Having in the past done a lot hand coding of HTML & Javascript. I have to agree about Dreamweaver®. It makes life more complicated. I think it's been designed for those men that have that little tuft of hair just below their bottom lip that passes for a beard in some circles...errrr.... I think these 'men' are called Graphic Designers.
I believe MUSE is the program for GDs. Dreamweaver is actually not bad. people just dont know how to use it - ie design view

"The only time you should you images etc" I'm slightly confused by this. Are you saying avoid having images on your site, and try and get CSS to do the work?
if it can be done with css, use css. so no images for gradients, dropshadows, rounded corners, blocks of colour etc this should be css.
web typography has grown a lot over the past few years so images for logos, businessnames, headers etc is also not needed.

but for me its very simple
sketch
wireframe
basic html/css
design elements
content
interlinking
bells and whistles

CaldwellYSR

adobe bashers! gotta love them!
in the next line what does he say he uses ...photoshop... pot calling the kettle black?

Hahaha yeah, I don't really mean to bash adobe so much as bash Dreamweaver. It's fine if it's used in codeview but most don't seem to use it that way.

if it can be done with css, use css. so no images for gradients, dropshadows, rounded corners, blocks of colour etc this should be css.
web typography has grown a lot over the past few years so images for logos, businessnames, headers etc is also not needed.

This ^^