A wordpress theme with similar design?

wendeli

Any wordpress connoisseurs here that might recognize a wordpress theme with a similar layout as this one? Coloration doesn't matter and superficial designs like the outward sticking titles aren't too big of a deal. I just need to find a blog with similar features that I can edit the css of. It also has to be responsive.

Thank you for your help!

chrishirst

Staff member
If you know where to root about in child themes, it's easy enough to find the parent that it is spawned off. :)

Boilerplate is the theme it is based on.

wendeli

You are awesome dude!! boilerplate looks like a basic set up. Do you think inspect elemnt will tell me enough to figure out the styling? Or should I just find another theme that looks similar. Sorry, I'm just starting to learn all of this and helping someone who knows even less than me with a blog that needs to have nearly the exact styling of the sample :/

chrishirst

Staff member
If you have a reasonable grasp of HTML and CSS along with a bit of a clue how Wordpress themes are constructed, they are pretty easy to deconstruct or 'reverse engineer'.

And yep "Boiler Plate" is a basic layout that is there for you to build on, or spawn 'child themes' off of it.

There is also 'Starkers' and Chris Coyier's 'Blank' theme.

I use 'Blank' as a base and added "theme support" for some of the WP 3+ core features that are not implemented 'out of the box' so have my own versions of a blank theme.

It may not look like it now, but the layout on bookemdanno.com started life as 'Blank', and was their original table based layout ( archive.bookemdanno.com ) converted to WordPress. Once you have a base to work from the rest is reasonably straight-forward.

As a 'designally challenged' individual, I simply view source, copy and paste the html structure of a layout, then put it back together in the theme. If images have been 'sliced' and the client doesn't have the originals I will reassemble them into one image again.
You can do the same kind of thing when 'borrowing' the layout of your example site. Just do a Save As... and you then have a copy of the document and it's constituent parts to examine at your leisure.