A "Like" Button Script?

GUDVH

Hi. I am looking for a "LIKE" functional script to implement into my website. Would anyone recommend where to get a good one? I really appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

chrishirst

Staff member
A "like" script script needs server side code to write to your database, are we supposed to guess at what they are?

GUDVH

Yeah, Phreaddee,

But, I don't like facebook on my website. I want the script to be independent and not dependent on another website's features. I just don't like the fact that in order for someone visiting my website to like a piece of content on mine having to log in to another website in order to vote the like.

I kind of like chrishirst's way of looking at my question: "A "like" script script needs server side code to write to your database". That is exactly what I would like to know, learn, and apply onto my website. More on the subject on how I can make the server side of my web host to implement the like feature to the pages of my website would be appreciated. Yeah, I am asking for CAN YOU PLEASE TEACH ME HOW TO DO IT?

Thanks in advance :)

Iconiplex

You people are probably the most condescending bunch of people who have never actually accomplished the communication of any tangible information.

Usually if you want to be holier-than-thou, at least be pedantic to back it up a bit and show off just how much you know so we can be like, "Hey, he may be a douche, but at least he knows what he's talking about." Being crude and not demonstrating any redeeming intellectual traits is really just a sad path to pursue.

Gudvh, contact me through the contact info listed on my account and I'll guide you through the process.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
Gudvh, contact me through the contact info listed on my account and I'll guide you through the process.
We can ALL do that PROVIDED we know what database and what server side scripting the server runs.

Currently we do not even know what website this is for, and as such, it is almost impossible to help people who provide no, or only partial information.

Personally I could paste the entire code into a forum post using ASP VbScript, as I have such a script in my library of code snippets and modules, but it would not be a whole lot of use if the server only supported ColdFusion.

If you read the WHOLE thread you will find a suggestion by Phreaddee for what he assumed was what GUVDH was looking for, which was promptly rejected. Now it may be that it is the "like" script that is on this site which is a 'plugin' for vBulletin, which is the script that 'powers' this site, again, that is of no use at all if the target site is not ALSO running vBulletin.

We answer questions here to help people who allow us to help, we are NOT a personal code writing service, and we do not need people who are unwilling to help us help them, especially when it is for FREE (as in speech). We all have more than enough of that from paying clients who at least are paying us for the privilege of wasting our time.

Iconiplex

We can ALL do that PROVIDED we know what database and what server side scripting the server runs.

Currently we do not even know what website this is for, and as such, it is almost impossible to help people who provide no, or only partial information.

Personally I could paste the entire code into a forum post using ASP VbScript, as I have such a script in my library of code snippets and modules, but it would not be a whole lot of use if the server only supported ColdFusion.

If you read the WHOLE thread you will find a suggestion by Phreaddee for what he assumed was what GUVDH was looking for, which was promptly rejected. Now it may be that it is the "like" script that is on this site which is a 'plugin' for vBulletin, which is the script that 'powers' this site, again, that is of no use at all if the target site is not ALSO running vBulletin.

We answer questions here to help people who allow us to help, we are NOT a personal code writing service, and we do not need people who are unwilling to help us help them, especially when it is for FREE (as in speech). We all have more than enough of that from paying clients who at least are paying us for the privilege of wasting our time.
If this is your goal, your initial response does not adhere to it:
A "like" script script needs server side code to write to your database, are we supposed to guess at what they are?
That sarcastic and condescending disposition would never help the OP.

OP clearly does not know how to implement this functionality, so one could at least provide a series of steps that would be needed:
  1. Structure a button in HTML
  2. Attach a jQuery click event to it
  3. Collect information pertaining to the object being liked (perhaps the URL of the page or a database ID of the object being liked as defined in the like button's data attributes, as found in the query string, as found in another HTML element, etc.)
  4. Pass this information via AJAX to a server side script
  5. Update the database if applicable
  6. Return a success or error flag to the jQuery AJAX completion functions
  7. Update the button's HTML accordingly (disable button, increase displayed like count, etc.)
Of course, if I was helping the OP, I would go into a bit more detail regarding each step, but this is merely an example of the basic level intro help that could be provided, allow the OP to research each step involved, then elaborate on his requests, rather than some snarky ass response that's not going to get anyone anywhere.

Last edited:

GUDVH

Government Sponsored Cripple , HUH? What a nice person you are! Makes me sick..

chrishirst

Staff member
Government Sponsored Cripple , HUH? What a nice person you are! Makes me sick..

That's me! Brutally honest about everything and guilty of posessing a self denigrating sense of humour.

After all, I didn't actually request a series of small strokes that damaged my eyesight and left with a severe loss of mobility in my left arm and shoulder. So maybe you should not judge someone WITHOUT a complete history or REAL knowledge of that person.

GUDVH

That's me! Brutally honest about everything and guilty of posessing a self denigrating sense of humour.

After all, I didn't actually request a series of small strokes that damaged my eyesight and left with a severe loss of mobility in my left arm and shoulder. So maybe you should not judge someone WITHOUT a complete history or REAL knowledge of that person.

The only good thing I see in you, your reply, and I have respect for is: "honest". Honesty goes a long way.

And regarding your personal life problem, I wish you will get better. We all have our problems, whether it's small, or big. BUT, if you can learn to be nice, and thank the good LORD, you will find that life has more meanings, and you will live a much happier life :)

Iconiplex

Well if there is one thing you aren't honest about, it's that you say you want to help people yet make no reasonable attempt to helpfully do so, but instead attack their knowledge and process until you rudely make your point.

Besides, if you let your physical ailments affect your demeanor, that only speaks to your character. I'm sure each of us knows or has met a severely damaged person who is a remarkably kind person. If you choose to be a condescending and crude person and complain about your condition, that is nothing anyone should sympathize with.

chrishirst

Staff member
if you can learn to be nice
Oh I am 'nice', I simply do not pull any punches to "spare anyone's 'feelings', I'm not a believer in the idea of 'white' lies. Everyone deserves the truth, regardless of whether they want it or not.

and thank the good LORD,
Oh please! Spare me from the sanctimonius religious platitudes, 'organised' religion has been the root cause of almost every atrocity in recorded history.

My life has plently of "meaning", family and friends know that I don't try to bull sh*t them with what they want to hear. I don't get angry or resentful at anything, I don't need a "faith" to tell me the difference between right and wrong and I don't need to 'believe in something' to provide succor.

My employment status on Facebook is a dig at the 'establishment' and people's need to find "friendly names" for everything because they are embarrased or scared of being honest about every day things and situations.

Though I impressed at your diligence and determination in tracking me down, you're not training to be a stalker are you? L)